Goodbye green queen.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
As you all know, Dusty has kindly allowed me to inspect hive 2 for a while now. The queen was one of hivemakers best. She was knocking on so we didn't think she would last the spring this year but she was laying strongly until a few weeks ago when we noticed a slight dip in the amount of brood, and two lovely supercedure cells on the bottom of one frame. After leaving them for a few weeks we opened up to find green queen and her daughter both in the hive. Yesterday we opened up to find lots of beautifully laid eggs, but green queen did not look well at all. I don't think we will see her again, so I would just like to take a moment to say what an amazing queen she has been. Great honey makers, and so gentle that you wouldn't know you had taken the roof off! I'm going to miss her but I am pleased that we got to rear another queen from her. I can't wait to see what attributes she's inherited.

This is the first supercedure I've witnessed from start to finish. Thanks Dusty :)

It's always sad when a particular good queen reaches the end of her days, glad your supersedure went so well.:)

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only sentimental one ;)

I think Dusty was dreading having to replace her and break it to me lol, all's well that ends well.

I do hope you do not have any Carniolians droneing around the Spires!... I can see a little packet arriving from Exmoor next Spring if there is!!
Very best of luck.

Yeghes da

Don't forget to give her a decent send off and tell the other hives a queen has died :)

Now there's a thought, are there any traditions when a good queen comes to the end of her life?

Dusty said I'll be doing her a little service, will we already have someone to do it, I wonder if he could swing it so we can do it at the cathedral? ;)

IT will come more better and better queens.: Red, yellow, White, glittering, self lighting,

I feel slightly nauseous!

Yes, she was a good queen - one of HiveMaster's best.

But not perfect.
We've had a constant battle with varroa in that hive.
Even with treatments, they've not been able to break through that problem.
We treated with MAQS 4 weeks ago - only to find a weekly drop of 78, 2-3 weeks after removal. And only yesterday we found two young bees with DWV. And with 3 fairly full supers on, it's hard to know what to try next.

So, yes, a good queen.
But the search for perfect goes on.

Regina mortua est; salve Regina!

Dusty

We've had a constant battle with varroa in that hive
They are being charitable, Dusty, and letting any bee in. The bee brings more than nectar

I feel slightly nauseous!

Yes, she was a good queen - one of HiveMaster's best.

But not perfect.
We've had a constant battle with varroa in that hive.
Even with treatments, they've not been able to break through that problem.
We treated with MAQS 4 weeks ago - only to find a weekly drop of 78, 2-3 weeks after removal. And only yesterday we found two young bees with DWV. And with 3 fairly full supers on, it's hard to know what to try next.

So, yes, a good queen.
But the search for perfect goes on.

Regina mortua est; salve Regina!

Dusty

Hey you! Don't speak ill of the dead ( given the condition of her on Saturday, I'll be very surprised if she's still knocking about lol)

She was a good queen and I won't hear otherwise!

I forgot about the dwv bees. We need a plan, batman.

Latest posts

Back