Queen laying in super......next step?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hux70

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have a queen that's started laying in the super I left on over the winter. I didnt look in the BB as it was just a quick inspection. At what point do I move her down? I was planning on the next inspection checking the BB for brood and if there is any move her down and replace the QX.
Is that the right approach?

You can just leave things as they are ... they will eventually start to fill the super with honey and she will lay up in the brood box.. what size brood box are you using? I run all my colonies without queen excluders but I'm on 14 x 12 so generally enough space I the BB. The queen's often lay in the first super when they really get going but by the time I come to extract its all honey stored.

Just a BS National. I suppose I could just leave them to it and if they become really strong I'll have a brood and a half... hmmm decisions.

Too soon to be moving Q and separating brood, next week temps are set to be a lot cooler.

Latest posts

Back