Planning a new strategy next year…

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds like a lot of work swapping frames up and down. Also very disruptive to the nest.
Surely the disruption would impact on honey production so you're losing one of the benefits of double brood?
Why is it disruptive no different to rolling a demaree.

But with a demaree you let the top box fill with honey after the brood has emerged.
I got the impression you were talking about switching frames between the upper and lower brood boxes all season.

But with a demaree you let the top box fill with honey after the brood has emerged.
I got the impression you were talking about switching frames between the upper and lower brood boxes all season.
Some prolific queens need to have frames rolled between boxes ( not all season)inspections on a rolling double brood can be very quick because the queen is in the bottom box and you don’t get brood / brais between boxes so much .

Some prolific queens need to have frames rolled between boxes
I've never found that - just as in a single brood box, if she needs space to lay, she will go and find it. the only time fiddling around rearranging frames is need is if you have to actively persuade her to lay more (in other words, she's not naturally 'prolific')

Latest posts

Back