queen excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stenibee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
any thoughts on what queen excluder you use. e.g.. metal or wooden framed wire. Any pluses or negatives to either.

wire with wooden frame

don't use plastic - sags & sticks

don't use zinc - sharp edges - and sags and sticks

galvanised metal - cheap,used by loads,yes, the odd sharp edge but not that much of a problem won't sag on bottom bee space if put directly onto frames, but then has to be peeled off, no big deal but not for me, can't be scorched as the thin metal will distort
Same for plastic (can't scorch either but for different reasons!)
You can put in a frame to give bee space on both of the above, but you neeed a central rib to stop sagging.
Framed wire - robust, no sharp edges,rather nice rounded wire. Can be lightly scorched, has got bee space but a lot more expensive.
Framed wire for me every time though.

:iagree:

And when prising off, if a cover cloth is places on the QE as lifting less bees ping into the air.

What about unframed wire, ie welded rather than wooden surround? Much cheaper, but any downsides?

If the QE is stuck in the centre, lift the edges and with the centre still stuck give the QE a gentle twist, it just comes away without any pinging.

I think that I have contrary bees... I treated both colonies to nice new wired QXs. Every inspection afterwards they were totally gummed up with wax. I mean LOADS of wax. (Yes, I had already tempted them through with drawn comb). So I 'downgraded' to plastic and they seem happier. Well, bee keeper is happier as there is a lot less wax. Have to be more careful replacing them after an inspection - smoke them down to avoid fatalities.

It is always possible that the wired ones have a 'right way up' and I got it wrong.

I think that I have contrary bees... I treated both colonies to nice new wired QXs. Every inspection afterwards they were totally gummed up with wax. I mean LOADS of wax. (Yes, I had already tempted them through with drawn comb). So I 'downgraded' to plastic and they seem happier. Well, bee keeper is happier as there is a lot less wax. Have to be more careful replacing them after an inspection - smoke them down to avoid fatalities.

It is always possible that the wired ones have a 'right way up' and I got it wrong.

Yes there is a right way up!

Depends if you run top bee space or bottom bee space?

The framed QE will have a bee space on one side and should be flat on the other.

For Bottom bee space the side of the QE with the Bee space should face down onto the brood box.

For Top bee space it should face up.

Assuming you have the correct bee space in your BB and supers there should not be as much brace comb then.

The other option that has not been mentioned is a plywood Queen Excluder - see http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/excludertypes.html

Other forum members may have used these and can report on their effectiveness but they seem do-able for an enthusiastic DIYer. Dave Cushman shows a raised rim around the edge and I quess the same arrangements, as on the earlier post, apply as to where the raised rim is.

As these decisions .....

CVB

I have recently changed from a horribly routed aluminium one with sharp un-deburred edges to a wooden framed wired one. On my last inspection there was less hassle removing it and no squashed bees on refitting it. Definitely worth the extra few quid.

Put a brand new shiny white plastic QE on one hive and two weeks later had two nicely laid up supers full of brood :(

Back to metal QE now.

Yes there is a right way up!

Depends if you run top bee space or bottom bee space?

The framed QE will have a bee space on one side and should be flat on the other.

For Bottom bee space the side of the QE with the Bee space should face down onto the brood box.

For Top bee space it should face up.

Assuming you have the correct bee space in your BB and supers there should not be as much brace comb then.

Thanks - according to your guidelines, I did have them the correct way up. (i.e. I have bottom bee space and the wires were at the top of the QE.) I will give them another go at a suitable juncture.

Back