Queen dead on grass??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie & Jans Bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Quick visit to hives today to top up feed in small nuc? on the grass was a small pile of bees 100/150 on further inspection a queen we marked 2 months ago was dead in the middle of them, I removed the queen and the bees flew off. Not sure if it would be a cast swarm and they just overheated???? Robbie

More likely that she has been killed (by the colony after supercedure?) or has died of natural causes - check for a new queen or emergency queen cells.

Rich

Was the queen clipped? looks a bit strange, as if she'd attempted to swarm, dropped outside and a cluster of bees stayed with her and perished overnight.
Could be supersedure I suppose - you need to have a peek inside - when did you last inspect?

Possibly thrown out after superceedure
Bet you will find a new queen laying away in the colony
Amms do that !

Cracking apiary you have there!

Probably been replaced.
Keep her and put her in a small amount of alcohol. The resulting solution makes for a excellent swarm lure.

Thanks AugustC I not heard of that before Vodka or gin? Dave I got your phone call if you want to bring Queens over to mate them I think Monday Night would be ok for me but not sure about the extra tables the sheep or cattle might knock them over how many are you thinking of. Jenkinsbrynmair the queen was not clipped and she only hatch approx. 3 months ago we had a hive swarm and then produce a new queen. Midland beek no we did not harm her to my knowledge but I guess we will never know just hope the hive re-queens itself. Robbie

When did you last inspect? Do you think they might have superseded without you noticing? if the bees weren't happy with the way the new queen was performing they may have replaced her

Latest posts

Back