Q off lay.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I've been reading a thread on fb where a few people have got queens but no brood, larvae or eggs. A few people have mentioned that the recent cold weather may have caused them to go off lay. I'm just interested to know the opinions of forum members. If they were mine I'd be looking to replace her. Would I be right? Would you give her a period of time before replacing? Just interested to know what forum members would do in this situation.

There is a difference to having no brood at all to just no young larvae or eggs. Even with the recent cold weather there should be sealed brood even if egg laying is reduced through the cold. No brood this time of year is not good at all

So it would depend on how old the youngest of any brood, if any, was? The poster only states that there are plenty of stores and room in the bb but no eggs or larvae. He doesn't state if there is any capped brood or not. My thinking is that it hasn't been really cold, just rainy and miserable, so I would be concerned that it wasn't the weather. Its something I've yet to come across properly with bees. My queen at school had a break from laying but they were honey blocked, so it was an inforced break. Just curious what those with experience would do and how long they'd give her before replacing, given that there would be a shortage of bees if left too long as the current work force ages.

If bees do not get pollen/protein, they stop larva feeding. First they eate all larvae off.
This has nothing to do with sugar stores.

Normal spring situation is that brood area is porous, every now and then bees have eaten some of larvae. But they do not tear off capped brood.

It is more common than many realise.

As for replacing the queen, I wouldn't. It is actually a good sign that the colony is in tune with the weather and willing to take the right steps to protect it's self from our fickle climate.

PH

I looked in all the hives in one of my apiary last Thursday and there was no open brood in any of them, just sealed.

I put it down to the cold weather, it happened a couple of years ago as well so no big deal in my eyes.

I put it down to the cold weather, i.

Cold that way, that bees cannot forage pollen. Rain as well.. If you feed protein, bees continue larva rearing.

But in some part of England day temps will rise to 20C.

Last edited:
Looked in two hives today that were fine three weeks ago. One was laying well but the other had a little amount of sealed cells left but nothing new at all. Saw the queen who was looking healthy, will leave her for a fortnight before killing her and putting eggs from another hive in. Bees were naturally cross in that hive too. To my knowledge not had them go off lay completely this early in the season before but got to give her a chance!
E

To my knowledge not had them go off lay completely this early in the season before but got to give her a chance!
E

I can promise eggs and larvae to your hives. Next week will be good in Wales. Up to 22C.

Then it depends how much pollen stores bees get.

Yes he has a queen.

I would ask what the food stores were like. At this time of year, there should be something coming in. If not, it isn't the queens fault so don't consider replacing her.
Another question would be: how old is the queen? I would look to replace older queens in the summer (i.e. up to the end of July) so they have time to build up their own colony in time for winter. If you replace her now, there is little chance of a crop this year.

In Manchester weather is becoming better 18...20...22C.
Bees will start to rear brood again.

Couple of my colonies have capped brood only, the remainder BIAS. All have stores of honey and pollen so I put it down to differences in response to the weather. I certainly wouldn't replace the queens.

I had no open brood when I did a first inspection of the year at the weekend either - groaning with honey and pollen though. Didn't see the queen though, so might well be queenless yet again - which could explain the sporadic capped drone brood. I seem to have no luck with queens.

Have you got another colony to take a test frame from?

PH

Have you got another colony to take a test frame from?

PH

My thinking is that it hasn't been really cold, just rainy and miserable, so I would be concerned that it wasn't the weather.
You've been lucky.

Some parts of the country have gone back to overnight frosts (and snow) and it's bitterly cold here again today even though the sun is shining.

Plants are being held back because it's so cold. There's no sycamore etc yet, although the pussy willow is past. There are still celandines and one or two dandelions, but that's about it, so there's nothing much for the bees to eat.

You've been lucky.

Some parts of the country have gone back to overnight frosts (and snow) and it's bitterly cold here again today even though the sun is shining.

Plants are being held back because it's so cold. There's no sycamore etc yet, although the pussy willow is past. There are still celandines and one or two dandelions, but that's about it, so there's nothing much for the bees to eat.

Close your freezer door. What part of Hants are you in?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633858

Latest posts

Back