Putting frozen uncapped super frames back on hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benaghbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national hives
Hi all,

In late August i took uncapped cut comb and standard super frames off (so i could treat and feed) and froze them. Is it ok to put these back on sometime in April / May and let the bees finish them off. This is my first year after only getting my bees in June. Hope i don't need to throw these out. Advice welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
Never tried it but I can't see a problem. Me? I would have spun it off and eaten it or given it back to them for winter food!
E

:rofl: leave out to warm up for 2-3 days... poor bees. I am sure he intended to.

Yes. I would have certainly thawed. Thanks

:rofl: leave out to warm up for 2-3 days... poor bees. I am sure he intended to.

:iagree: But make sure they are in a bee proof room or you will start a feeding frenzy and end up with empty combs:ohthedrama:

Sorry to ask maybe a silly question but to thaw them do i just place them in a room in an empty supper in the normal way i.e. vertical? Will honey / nectar drip out?

The cell are tipped backwards slightly so shouldn't leak if kept vertical and not too warm !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you can buy 50cm x50cm black trays from garden centres for about £7 that you can use to carry supers or leave them so any honey does not get on the floor/table/car seats etc, There are either advertised asgravel trays or potting trays

also useful as emergency rooves on swarm beehives or super stacks

Latest posts

Back