One frame of honey…best thing to do

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I took one super frame off my bees today as I really want to try the honey. What’s the best way to get the honey out? It would be great to preserve the comb to give back to them if possible

You could uncap it one side and let it drip into a tray in a warm room. Repeat.
You’ll get enough out to taste it.

You could uncap it one side and let it drip into a tray in a warm room. Repeat.
You’ll get enough out to taste it.
If I leave it a day or two for each side can I drain the frame reasonably thoroughly like this?

I took one super frame off my bees today as I really want to try the honey. What’s the best way to get the honey out? It would be great to preserve the comb to give back to them if possible
Why not sacrifice just one side by scraping back to the foundation and if required, straining through a sieve or a reusable Sainsbury veggie bag.

Just thinking out loud: you could tie long cords to each lug & bring the other ends together, fasten a robust plastic bag over it securely after uncapping. Whirl it around in a circle to extract the honey into the bag!
Eh? Keep in mind the angle of the cells against the foundation

I tried the uncap and let drip method to little avail so just sacrificed the comb and scraped it out and let it drip through a mesh bag. Filled two and a bit 12oz jars 👍

I don't know, but they do. Maybe because it uses less wax?
Guess it doesn’t matter either way 🤷‍♂️. I scraped back to foundation rather than destroying the whole frame…not sure if I made that clear in my earlier post

scraped back to foundation rather than destroying the whole frame
Even quicker repair.

Last week I blew a comb during extraction. Put the empty frame back in the hive the same day, and saw today that it's been re-made and half-filled with nectar. Drone comb, of course.

Guess it doesn’t matter either way 🤷‍♂️. I scraped back to foundation rather than destroying the whole frame…not sure if I made that clear in my earlier post
Then they will just draw what they did before...but maybe not at all if your flow has stopped like it has in a lot of places.
Put some of the honey a small jar and keep it. I have kept a jar back from every year

Just use a platic box with a light bulb with a bottom tray. Then run a carving knive and cut top layer of wax on both sides of the frame and place in the box and turn on the light for a few minutes and with the heat from the bulb the honey will drip out.

Just use a platic box with a light bulb with a bottom tray. Then run a carving knive and cut top layer of wax on both sides of the frame and place in the box and turn on the light for a few minutes and with the heat from the bulb the honey will drip out.
Is this an idea or something you use yourself?

Back