Beware the shake test

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen it posted recently about extracting if not sealed and the shake method mentioned as well as using the refractor , problem is one can't test each cell and the % will very soemtines across the combs.

The shake method isn't wholly reliable and some honey stored will likely end up as fermented .

I refrain form extracting unless honey is sealed.

A nice reminder Eric for those new to the hobby who may be tempted to extract and then later if the honey is stored find out it is only suitable for mead or cooking.

A nice reminder Eric for those new to the hobby who may be tempted to extract and then later if the honey is stored find out it is only suitable for mead or cooking.
Been there and done that. I usually check before putting clearer board on but it has been coming in so fast off the lime I was a bit desperate to reduce the tower.

My one is the same in the garden Eric , I have a small folding step to reach the top (7th super) which is nearly 85 - 90% sealed , the other six are varied from 60 - 85% filled but not yet full enough for them to cap.
As shake test showed mostly all is not going anywhere but until it is sealed it's not going no where.

Currently some back filling in he lower BB is occurring with so much coming , I can't physically go any higher to lift off supers safely . Mon or Tues I should be able to clear the top box and then give them a wet spring super back.

I shake test in the apiary to determine which frames get taken home. At home, if uncapped I check the frame with refractometer ( one cell only). I then check again when the bucket is full.

Latest posts

Back