Purchasing WBC

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WBC are poorly standardised and some lifts DO fit over Nationals (tight fit), however at least one ebay supplier was supplying a WBC look alike external box to go over a National recently. I think it was Simon the Beekeeper. I have run Nationals in WBC outers previously but they suffer from the same problems as WBCs.

Just to go against the general consensus, I've never had any problem with mixing and matching WBC lifts from different suppliers.

I do have all sorts of trouble with supers that don't quite match and aren't quite bee-tight, though. This a consequence of the nasty design of WBC inner boxes where one box sits on the frame lugs of the box below, instead of the edges of the boxes matching up properly.

The other thing I would add is that you need to make sure your bottom lift (with porch), floor/stand, and entrance slides all come from the same place, else the slides won't fit properly. And mouseguards are also a PITA.

All in all, I think your "buy the whole lot from a single reputable supplier" plan is a very sensible one. I would also strongly recommend getting a 14x12 WBC, so that you're only using a single brood frame size.

It is interesting hearing all of these comments as I have now reached the point in my bee keeping career where I am definitely going to continue for years to come and so have to start buying my own hives as currently these ones I have are borrowed.

Am pretty keen on the idea of using WBSs both from the look of the hive and also the smaller size. Thought I would spend the winter getting one or two ready for next season so that I have at least one ready for swarms, splits, etc. Am going to run it as double brood boxes with the idea of being able to change the comb of at least one box of the brood every year. The slightly lower weight should help in humping and lumping and the bees were on double brood boxes this year and the brood area spread across it quite nicely.

Had seen the ebay man with his National conversion lifts and had bourne it in mind as another option.

One aspect of the WBC that I do think is appropriate to my coastal location is the winter storms that we have, so am keen on the extra insulation.

And no there is no way that I am going down the poly route. Poly makes my skin shiver like running nails over a blackboard!

As a compromise, how about standing a single walled hive on legs with an alighting board and using a gabled roof. That would look similar to a WBC
Regards
Richard

Last edited:
As a compromise, how about standing a single walled hive on legs with an alighting board and using a gabled roof. That would look similar to a WBC
Regards
Richard

I have some very pretty national wood hives just like that.... even have a pretty gable over the entrance, which has a slide blocker just like the WBCs

They will be for sale soon on FleaBuy as have seen the light and will be going over to Polly Nationals asap !

Will keep my collection of Lee Uxbridge WBCs as SWMBO allows me to keep them in the orchard because they look pretty!

WBC are poorly standardised and some lifts DO fit over Nationals (tight fit), however at least one ebay supplier was supplying a WBC look alike external box to go over a National recently. I think it was Simon the Beekeeper. I have run Nationals in WBC outers previously but they suffer from the same problems as WBCs.

One well known beekeeping family in North Yorkshire overwinter all (I thnk?) their national hives inside a 'WBC' outer shell. Not sure if they are a special or not.

Back