Processing and jarring honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a honey bucket containing honey! that I extracted last weekend. I had wondered about jarring it this weekend, but some of the books I have say it should settle for 3 months to allow any crystals to develop and others say that it can be jarred straight away. I have had a quick look in the bucket, the bubbles have risen to the surface, but can’t tell if any crystals have formed yet. It was double strained when it was extracted and put in the bucket. We do not have any OSR in the area, so it shouldn’t set completely solid.

What is the best thing to do now?

Thanks,
Emily

Jar it after you’ve skimmed it.
Don’t label the jars til you need them.
I have a jam maker/ tea urn that I use to warm the crystals away if the honey starts to crystallise before sale. Can’t do that with labels of course.

I jar 24hours after extraction. If you only have a small amount of honey why let it go hard in a bucket! The only real need is if you want to soft set OSR
E

Thanks Dani and Enrico. I will get jarring!

Is there a simple way to remove the bubbles? I tried a metal spoon and ended up a bit sticky!

Clingfilm is brilliant at getting off that top layer of bubbles and wax particles! Just lay it gently over the surface of your honey, trying to make sure that you avoid any big bubbles and so it's touching as much of the surface as you can get. Then just lift it off from one side and that top layer will say stuck to the clingfilm leaving the surface of your honey lovely and clean.

The stuff scraped off of the clingfilm might not look so nice in your jarred honey but it still tastes great.

Last edited:
When you jar it, initially the honey will be full of air bubbles -. But after 24 hours they will have vanished...

Or get stuck in the corners of you use hexagonal jars!!
E

In Bath you can probably achieve premium prices.

I've just seen a post on "Nextdoor" from someone selling @ £4 per 227 g jar (8 oz).

Clingfilm is brilliant at getting off that top layer of bubbles and wax particles! Just lay it gently over the surface of your honey, trying to make sure that you avoid any big bubbles and so it's touching as much of the surface as you can get. Then just lift it off from one side and that top layer will say stuck to the clingfilm leaving the surface of your honey lovely and clean.

The stuff scraped off of the clingfilm might not look so nice in your jarred honey but it still tastes great.

I use clingfilm, but after laying it over the surface I pinch the clingfilm with finger and thumb right in the centre of the film, lift it up swiftly whilst bringing a bowl under the clingfilm with the other hand to catch any drips.

Well, didn’t get too sticky. Need a tilting base for the honey bucket as trying to tip it and hold the jar whilst looking at the scales was quite tricky. Should be able to make one.

How do you avoid bubbles in the corners of the jars?

Does the jar in the photo look ok. The honey measured just under 17%.

Thanks,
Emily

Attachments

• D895D61E-24DF-4C0F-A2D7-A8251A3C3CEB.jpeg
    D895D61E-24DF-4C0F-A2D7-A8251A3C3CEB.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I use clingfilm, but after laying it over the surface I pinch the clingfilm with finger and thumb right in the centre of the film, lift it up swiftly whilst bringing a bowl under the clingfilm with the other hand to catch any drips.
I tried cling film, but didn’t remove it from the middle. Will try that next time.

You can't really get those bubbles out of the corners and I wouldn't bother. You can do it with a bent skewer but it isn't easy.
Looks nice honey, good colour. I don't bother with cling film either. I just leave the last three jars with the bubbles for me!
Making something to tip your container is worth doing though.
E

You can't really get those bubbles out of the corners and I wouldn't bother. You can do it with a bent skewer but it isn't easy.
Looks nice honey, good colour. I don't bother with cling film either. I just leave the last three jars with the bubbles for me!
Making something to tip your container is worth doing though.
E
Thanks Enrico.

After all the upset with loosing the bees to CPBV, it’s good to have something to feel positive about.

Latest posts

Back