problem with masonry/honey bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windy corner

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi not a bee-keeper but have a problem with bees going in and out of the breather blocks of my new house, where the scaffolding was. Thought they might be masonry but as these are solitary bees I am unsure as the number of bees going in and out is quite a lot. We are keen gardeners and lovers of nature but as they are right by our bedroom window we need to know some way to move them to a more ideal nest. any advice would be greatly received.

Hi not a bee-keeper but have a problem with bees going in and out of the breather blocks of my new house, where the scaffolding was. Thought they might be masonry but as these are solitary bees I am unsure as the number of bees going in and out is quite a lot. We are keen gardeners and lovers of nature but as they are right by our bedroom window we need to know some way to move them to a more ideal nest. any advice would be greatly received.

Possible to post a photo of one to help identify? Also, are they all coming and going in from the same spot, or different ones

These guys seem to enjoy air-bricks. Very, very hard to get them to sting you and they only fly for a few weeks in spring if that is what they are.

http://www.bwars.com/Files 4 downloading/Osmia_rufa_infosheet.pdf

Solitary bees that like to congregate, and there will be no expanding nest behind the brick, just little pollen-provisioned and mud-lined tubes.

If they were honeybees they are unlikely to have swarmed into there this spring (too early in most parts) but would have been there since last summer.

all the best

G.

These guys seem to enjoy air-bricks. Very, very hard to get them to sting you and they only fly for a few weeks in spring if that is what they are.

http://www.bwars.com/Files 4 downloading/Osmia_rufa_infosheet.pdf

Solitary bees that like to congregate, and there will be no expanding nest behind the brick, just little pollen-provisioned and mud-lined tubes.

If they were honeybees they are unlikely to have swarmed into there this spring (too early in most parts) but would have been there since last summer.

all the best

G.

:iagree: this

If you don't like the idea of a handful of bees making a home in the air brick to your house can I suggest you move from somewhere like Wem to Small Heath, Birmingham. Maybe a village in the country is not your thing.

That's a bit harsh. They were only wanting some reassurance. A full rip-roaring honeybee colony in the fabric of the house and right beside a bedroom window may well be a daunting prospect, never mind the issue of a hundred pounds of honey stored in the wall.

Probably very gentle early spring solitary (but gregarious) wild bees, fun to watch and great to have around. They will thoughtfully disappear (apparently, but the next generation will be quietly developing in your airbrick) before the barbeque season gets underway.

G.

going in and out of the breather blocks of my new house, where the scaffolding was
not that I know anything about bricklaying but do you mean that the scaffolding was fitted in a breather block or do you mean the gap between two bricks....... I have bumbles that use such a gap every year...... Probably only raise 6 or so during the year......... and we have cavity insulation so they cant get too far...

If you don't like the idea of a handful of bees making a home in the air brick to your house can I suggest you move from somewhere like Wem to Small Heath, Birmingham. Maybe a village in the country is not your thing.

All I'm going to say is every forum has one. Much like every Village has one.:willy_nilly:

Thanks for the forth coming help, I'll see if I can put together a video clip so you can give some more advice.

Hi Windy. Such swift wit and repartee! You'll do well to stick around :)

With a name like that, do I take it that you are accustomed to riding motorcycles around the Isle of Man?

Masonry Bees?

Will be interested to see your pics.
It sounds like you have Masonry Bees, they are solitary but do group, I have a lot buzzing around each other to go into the holes where my old satellite dishes where sited, beautiful bees brown and yellow & almost look hairy.
They are great to watch but I have to go up a ladder onto the flat roof to watch them.
I think they are harmless (and don't have a stinger?) experts here will know.

beautiful bees brown and yellow & almost look hairy.
I think they are harmless (and don't have a stinger?) experts here will know.

There are various types of mason bee, and they are furry, like bumbles or mining bees.

I always tell customers that they dont have sting, which is a small white lie, but puts their mind at rest becuase usually they are panicking.
The solitary bees like mason bees and mining bees do actually have a stinger but its too weak to penetrate human skin.

Seeing lots more solitary/masonary bees around this year, averaging 2 calls a day for people wanting them destroyed. OH is a pestie and this year he has spread his no kill zone not only from honey and bumble bees but to masonaries as well. It does seem to be an initial panic that they will sting that worries people. Usually we managed to put them off but do let them know that ther are some mercinaries outthere that will deal with them.

Latest posts

Back