Pro- Ventilation OR Anti-Ventilation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro- Ventilation OR Anti-Ventilation?

• Pro-Ventilation

Votes: 77 70.0%
  • Anti-Ventilation

Votes: 15 13.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 18 16.4%

• Total voters
I should of stated that in the first post.

Err, no. It should have been made clear exactly who was being polled in the poll proper, not hidden away in another post.

So you now agree the poll is meaningless?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr NO it's NOT meaningless to me.

5893856890_8e2e4036d7_z.jpg

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr NO it's NOT meaningless to me.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, but it is - to nearly everyone else!

Can I suggest you take it up with the author. I believe he is a member of the forum.

My Great Grandmother used to say that!!!

Probably a lot older, and with a lot more experience of life, than you. DON'T change the subject!! The poll is dead!

BTW, I'm not old, I'm ancient!

Can open......

You were right

Simple. Close the can! You seem to be trying everything rather than admitting to starting a really rubbish poll!

Just give up and try another.

Can open......

You were right

Simple. Close the can! You seem to be trying everything rather than admitting to starting a really rubbish poll!

Just give up and try another.

Just looked at the calender and found out it's bash the newbie day today, now i understand.:eek:

Not rubbish to me, it's all new stuff and I love it.

As you can see so far......

Pro 24.....Votes
Anti.....5 Votes
Not sure......2 Votes

You must of been one of the NOT SURE votes....am i right?

Unless you have quoted 'out of context' (by missing out any reference to OMFs) or, shall we say, 'selectively', .

Don't judge people by your own ancient standards!! tut tut

Any way .....On with the poll!! :driving:

:sifone:

Sugar Water;149272 As you can see so far...... Pro 24.....Votes Anti.....5 Votes Not sure......2 Votes Any way .....On with the poll!! :driving: :sifone:[/QUOTE said:
That's not bad considering there are over 5 thousand members, enough for a newspaper to make an informed opinion I might hazard ;)

Pro 24.....Votes
Anti.....5 Votes
Not sure......2 Votes

Any way .....On with the poll!!

Not bad you say? 30 of them (had OMFs!!) would not have voted if they had known it was restricted to users of solid floors.:banghead::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

You are simply a :biggrinjester::biggrinjester: or a :beatdeadhorse5:

I would not even consider voting! :seeya:

Pro 24.....Votes
Anti.....5 Votes
Not sure......2 Votes

Any way .....On with the poll!!

Not bad you say? 30 of them (had OMFs!!) would not have voted if they had known it was restricted to users of solid floors.:banghead::smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

You are simply a :biggrinjester::biggrinjester: or a :beatdeadhorse5:

I would not even consider voting! :seeya:

Give the guy a break - he wants to learn!

Who gave you the right to dictate what questions he can ask and how he asks them!!

Is she still waving her walking stick in the air :drool5: she has 5351 post to HER name so she must know what she is talking about :bigear:.

Ill make her a cup of tea soon...........I said ILL MAKE YOU A CUP OF TEA!

Ahhh bless her........she don't get out much!!

Just make sure your football dont go in her garden, you will never get it back!

Ill put the kettle on. :seeya:

Yes of course I'm in favour of ventilation- by having an OMF, NOT by letting all the heat out at the top.

Ok, (back to topic) if that's so can you tell me why respected makers of Nationals send them out with OMF, crownboard with hole(s), and ventilation cones or meshes in the roof?

Are you telling me they're all wrong? |Surely it is better to let warm moist air leave the hive than to sit up in the roof causing mould to form, even in winter?

BTW son has shown me how to set angled baffles up around the hives in winter to prevent cold air currents (ie wind) streaming through the apiary and under OMFs, so the hives will sit at ambient temperature not wind chill temp.

Ok, (back to topic) if that's so can you tell me why respected makers of Nationals send them out with OMF, crownboard with hole(s), and ventilation cones or meshes in the roof?

Are you telling me they're all wrong? |Surely it is better to let warm moist air leave the hive than to sit up in the roof causing mould to form, even in winter?

QUOTE]

Get an insulated roof and you don't get roof condensation...

I have had more than half a dozen members reporting a post in this thread.
I will speak with the member concerned.

Admin.

BTW son has shown me how to set angled baffles up around the hives in winter to prevent cold air currents (ie wind) streaming through the apiary and under OMFs, so the hives will sit at ambient temperature not wind chill temp.

Headnavigator, can you send me a link or a picture to these angled baffles your on about please.

Thanks

Headnavigator,

can you tell me why respected makers of Nationals send them out with OMF, crownboard with hole(s), and ventilation cones or meshes in the roof?

The main reason is so the same board can have multi functions. The Porter bee escape holes are for when the board might be used as a clearer board. The feeder holes are there for just that purpose. The porter ecape holes can be used for feeding purposes.

The ventilation or cones are simply for ventilating the roof space (between the crownboard and the roof), the latter being useful should bee(s) get trapped above the crownboard when replacing the roof. The reasons the roof is ventilated is two-fold; 1) Trapped moisure at any time (crownboards and roofs may not leak but moisure will go through the crownboard, slowly) will accumulate and can cause mould, or rot. 2) When the Sun's rays beat down on the roof the air insulation layer in the roof will prevent most of any heat conducted through the roof entering through the crownboard, but that will be assisted by the ventilation holes in the roof allowing some heat tranfer rom the hive in some designs. The good old WBC is particularly good in this respect as it allows warm air inside to convect from the hive, being replaced by cooler air from below.

Hope that helps to entirely explain your conundrum.

Regards, RAB

I agree this poll has turned into a thread, and feel very silly for having OMF AND a crown board with a hole during the warmer months (I have been blocking it during winter months)

I think I got the wrong end of the stick when listening about the importance of vetilation and by using the late and great Dave Cushmans plans.

I used his OMF AND his crownboard with holes for plans.

I do however have a very basic question. If we are fortunately enough to have a 14x12 with four of five supers on top chok-a-blok with honey, how effective is the OMF alone for ventilation in the upper levels?

Thank you RAB that's brilliant, just what I needed to know. Sugar Water, I can't scan his drawings at the moment (predictably on the back of an envelope) but the gist of it is a board on each wind vulnerable side of the hive set into the ground at an angle sloping outwards from bottom to top, which should be just higher than the level of the OMF, and set about 9-12 inches from the hive. I have two 'protected' sides and two open sides, the boards need to be on the open sides and angled (rather like upside-down WBC lifts) so that they mate at the corner. Air currents coming towards the hive/boards hit the board and rotate up and back and leave still air on the hive side of the boards. Hope that is clear?

peteinwilts,

Test it out for yourself. Cover your feed holes with gauze and let the bees choose whether to leave them open or cover with propolis. They will likely leave a tiny amount open in that scenario. I have them, and had no problems with plain 9 or 10mm sheet crownboards.

Remember the Warre? It only needs an imperceptible air low in the winter months. That same roof suffices for the summer months, too. and the cross-sectional area of the boxes is far less than for a National.

Regards, RAB

Back