preparing for winter thoughts on bottom BB ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We are preparing to over winter our bees as I guess everyone is. The question is, what are the thoughts on putting an empty super or empty BB under our brood box, so the bees have a space under it to stop wind blowing in ?

If so do we need to make a ramp in this empty box so the bees can move up ? anyone tried this and what are the thoughts ?

you don't want empty space in the hive itself.

you have two choices -

a full super below the BB

OR

an empty super below the floor to prevent draughts.

or perhaps both!!!!

not thought of an empty brood box below the floor, but our hive is on a good stand and probably high enough anyway.

Just read on here about someone who always puts and empty BB below his BB at winter to stop wind blowing in and up. We were concerned because we didnt think you needed empty space in the hive. But in the interest of seeing if anyone else did t we thought we would ask the question.

I guess we were just worried that as our hives face west and thats where the wind comes in from, we were looking at ideas. Think the main idea we will use is a wind break, at the moment there is a great curtain of broad beans providing a good wind break, but of course they wont be there in winter.

I have my hives on stands about 18 inches high. Last winter 2 colonies had an empty super underneath the floor. The other had a partly filled/capped super under the brood box but over the floor.Judging by the amount of cappings on the ground in the first week after putting it in place the bees moved the stores up so I guess this was probably largely empty over the winter.It was empty in the spring. All came through fine.
I was on Nationals last year.
This year the one remaining national will have a part filled super underneath (but on top of the floor).
The 14 x 12s will just be on their floors.
Hope this helps

"Just read on here about someone who always puts and empty BB below his BB at winter to stop wind blowing in and up. We were concerned because we didnt think you needed empty space in the hive."

i think you have misread - presume the author meant between floor and stand.

as you say - empty space in hive undesireable.

i wondered if that was the case drstitson, but it defo said and empty box between floor and BB ? just trying to link togethor thought processes :)

i wondered if that was the case drstitson, but it defo said and empty box between floor and BB ? just trying to link togethor thought processes :)

I recall both ways (above and below the floor) being used by members last winter. My preferred way was under the floor to stop excess comb - that said I probably wont bother this year as on 14x12s as per erica's post.

This is of course always assuming you are on OMFs!

One other thing, if your hives are exposed and back onto the prevailing wind, ductape across the back floor entrance may not be a bad idea

what are the thoughts on putting an empty super or empty BB under our brood box,

Forget it. BTDT. Had the wild comb to deal with.

Far better to leave comb there for them to move into, if needed.

Far better, if you must, to put a box below your floor.

I don't, and haven't found it a problem with 14 x 12s - they are that much deeper, so more protection from draughts. That was one reason for changing to jumbos.

I do reduce the draughts with a baffle, if the weather is very bad, but not done that for outlying colonies, only the easy to get to ones.

RAB

I have two remaining Nationals (all other colonies have upsized to 14 x 12). One of these Nats was a resultant large colony from a Q- unite. Having two spare National BB's from 'my first bee primer' days, I have put them under the existing Nats to overwinter (effectively giving them the option of double brood, though of course, these will be more effective as wind breaks).

They too will be encouraged to take up 14 x 12 residency next year but in the meantime, I might as well use the wood!

We are preparing to over winter our bees as I guess everyone is. The question is, what are the thoughts on putting an empty super or empty BB under our brood box, so the bees have a space under it to stop wind blowing in ?

If so do we need to make a ramp in this empty box so the bees can move up ? anyone tried this and what are the thoughts ?

The simplest approach is the baffle as o90 says.
The baffle could simply be some galvanised open mesh (lath from Jewsons quite cheap) put on top of the stand, underneath the floor

I've effectively made that extra super under the floor a permanent feature of my hives together with the baffle O90 mentions, in my case that does double duty as vermin guard.

Latest posts

Back