Pot luck or something else ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HM Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I heard from a friend of mine last night that started bee keeping the same time as me. His start to this fabulous hobby has been a mirror image of mine down to every detail.

We did the same course, we bought our first bees at the same time, we both collected and kept four swarms last year, merging them into two colonies. We both did EXACTLY the same with our bees over the winter (insulation on, fed 2:1 syrup in Autumn, left fondant on over winter, treated for mites etc). Everything WE did was the same.

Despite this, he lost all his colonies this winter and I lost none of mine?

Suggestions?

Nosema or acarine a possibility. Did either of you test?

Hi HM Honey,
It could be that you both united weak colonies and you got away with it! Did you collect the swarms at the same time of the year? Were his Q+ going into winter, the quality and amount of winter bees. Most likely quality of the stock.

I believe that I too did everything possible to ensure my bees wellbeing, and despite feeding thymolated syrup ( anti nosema) I lost 2 colonies to nosema ( confirmed by microscope). Too many factors to consider ( some of which are beyond our control) when caring for bees

You say that you "heard from him" - suggesting that he doesn't exactly live next door ... so could it have been a case of a different micro-climate perhaps ?

Or did he 'keep taking a peek' perhaps ?

That's about all I can think of to add.

LJ

Apart from Nucs, mine all went into winter virtually the same. Lost a couple of Nucs but others are okay but marked difference in size of each colony. One which produced 5 supers has now had to be transferred to a Nuc!
S

No two bee colonies are the same, they have different traits, they fly at different temperatures, have their own foibles and for some reason some just seem to live on for ever whatever you do to them! At least your friend has somewhere too get a new set of bees from.....at some time in the future I feel confident they will be returning the favour!
E

How that is possible?

On my yard I have only same temperature

The temperature may be the same but one hive will always be the first out, and one will always be the last, in my apiary anyway!

I heard from a friend of mine last night that started bee keeping the same time as me. His start to this fabulous hobby has been a mirror image of mine down to every detail.

We did the same course, we bought our first bees at the same time, we both collected and kept four swarms last year, merging them into two colonies. We both did EXACTLY the same with our bees over the winter (insulation on, fed 2:1 syrup in Autumn, left fondant on over winter, treated for mites etc). Everything WE did was the same.

Suggestions?

Give him one of yours?

... We both did EXACTLY the same with our bees over the winter (insulation on, fed 2:1 syrup in Autumn, left fondant on over winter, treated for mites etc). Everything WE did was the same.

Suggestions?

Did you have identical varroa counts?
Did your hives have identical weights going into winter?
Did they have identical areas of brood in September?

/ and did either (or both) have any disease testing, or anything (like chalkbrood, for example), noted before (or after) winter?

Last edited:
Differing flight times. Lufthansa,Quantas,BA,Jal.

I moved a hive recently to my home apiary, it was exposed to the NE winds that we have been getting since Christmas, ie from the Thames estuary.
This hive is now the first to emerge in the mornings, my other two that have been in the back garden for past 3 years don't come out till its too late to get any pollen like after 1400 when the sun is going down. Must admit though that my older hives are not as strong as the one from the out Apiary.
Still interesting to notice the difference. They are all in the Sun when it shines.

Finman do you see your hives EVERY day?
And have you got heaters in all your hives.
Bob.

Did you have identical varroa counts?
Did your hives have identical weights going into winter?
Did they have identical areas of brood in September?

And even more Silly.
But these answers can be answered.

Did you have the same colour beesuits.
Did you have the same colour Wellies.
Did you have the same Breakfast that morning.
I bet though that one has a diesel powered car and the other a Petrol.
Silly Bee.

The temperature may be the same but one hive will always be the first out, and one will always be the last, in my apiary anyway!

:iagree:

Mother and two daughters - all fly at different times one other hive out first thing, another - facing the rising sun not out 'til lunchtime

Thanks Guys

some very sensible suggestions. We are going to try and establish what caused the deaths before he takes on of my colonies.

Where do we send them for desease testing and what does this cost?

Latest posts

Back