Post your 2013 swarm photos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todays swarm had already hived itself in a half barrel on a patio - the family living there were out in the garden when it arrived. Wrapped the whole thing up and took it back to my apiary I keep for swarms, knocked them down on to a sheet and they ran in to a nuc nicely. Barrel to be returned later!

Rich

Swarm #7

Short Video - http://youtu.be/k69g3Tv1FLs

Biggest swarm by far this year.
s7a.jpg

s7b.jpg

They didn't quite fit into a poly nuc, about 200 bees clinging to the bottom and clustered by the entrance by 21:00 hrs so wrapped them up in an old duvet cover to keep them from flying around in the car.

looks like I will have to add a wheelie bin to my swarm collecting tools lol

Might be the barrel will yield further swarms in the future...

I have a better image of that swarm my sister saw yesterday. Lucky swine got a good handful of bees.

Apparently, there was a swarm on that tree last year and before, so I'll make sure my sister contacts me first next time, so I can go and get it...

picture.php

Might be the barrel will yield further swarms in the future...

Yes - if they don't block the hole up! Inadvertently they set up a good bait hive....if a little low...

Rich

In a dwarf pear tree...in our garden.. from carniolan stock..

Hived 7 days ago in a TBH nuc. Already drawn 2 full combs

Oh yes, I seem to recall RAB has them.
Problem is that I have three from P a y n e s and nowhere to hide them from husband if I replace them........I wonder if he'd notice?
Aaaaaaargh!!

Mimic the antique dealer and distress them :D
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good still-life that second snap :)
You should enter it for the Beecraft calendar :):)

I'm always amazed at how often our swarms are retrieved. My hives have swarmed three times...not this year!!!...and each time I was there, once I made an unscheduled visit as I felt I just had to go. Do beekeepers have some sort of sixth sense with this?
OR do we lose more swarms than we admit?

This is a photo from Holly Bees album just amazing fantastic photo.
Hope you don’t mind Holly

Reasons to be cheerful.

A short story of the new noisy neighbours.
I was asked "would I be able to collect a swarm on top of a local flat roof sports hall", well, "I'll have a look first if possible", I replied, sorted out all the politics, finished work, emptied the van of my gear, got to the hall, and found the swarm on top the roof, a small caste.
Just as I walk through the last door with all the equipment, the janitor says to me "they just taken off".
A few expletives later, back down the stairs, checking out the area, they're nowhere to be seen. He then says "they seemed to be heading that way", pointing south, to where Mr Muggins here lives.
So as most people in this day and age do, I got straight on the phone, speaking to the O/H, I said, "quickly go up the garden and tell me if there's any activity".
To be told very abruptly, "I AINT GOIN ANYWHERE UP THERE, I CAN HERE THEM".

picture.php

Last edited:
Heres one I found a couple of days ago.

This swarm returned to the hive a few hours later (they must have forgotten to take the queen with them - doh!) They then left again the following day.

Last edited:
That's a fair sized swarm from a small hive ?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bees mum!

Yet again, my daughter creates a panic by yelling her favourite line 'Bees Mum'...without a qualifier of 'strange bees' 'incoming' etc...

Sure enough the back garden fills with bees - who settle 60ft up a beech tree - well out of our reach. We rapidly place hives on shed roofs underneath - and nothing happens. We go to bed.

At 10.00am Day Two the bees appear to fly away - Oh well, shucks...then at 4.30pm they fly back - ignore every bait hive...and move into an empty, polyhive we use to store unneeded frames! The entrance? One bee space...so muffin here puts her suit on and runs over to enlarge it.

They are now in the apiary proper and laying and foraging well - whoop! Unfortunately, my Daughter now claims naming rights on the swarm - which becomes Michaela (after her Brother in Oz)...Oh well, one smug daughter...

As we watched them settling in - one came to say hello through the bedroom window...

I have had a few over the past four weeks but I nearly always forget to take a pic of the cluster.

Sorry did not know how to freez frame and send.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEXgVatF-uc[/ame]

Nice swarm i captured today in Norwich. Swarm was about 15ft up in the tree. Within an hour of the last photo being taken all the bees apart from a few stragglers had taken up residence in the nuc box. Nice end to the day.

Latest posts

Back