Post your 2013 swarm photos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just like to say a bit 'thank you' to everybody who's contributed descriptions, pictures and videos to this thread so far. :winner1st:

It makes a brilliant read, and must be useful for non-beekeeping people who are looking for information about 'swarms', and whether they've got one in their garden or not.

I agree beejoyful. Really enjoyable. Thanks all.

It makes a brilliant read, and must be useful for non-beekeeping people who are looking for information about 'swarms', and whether they've got one in their garden or not.

Not to mention those relatively inexperienced beeks who've never even seen a swarm!

Stop sniggering at the back!

Dusty

P.s. I'm referring to others, of course!

Last edited:
I am on the BBKA swarm collector's list and sometimes get some unusual call outs in London. This one in Glasshouse Street virtually closed a whole road for the afternoon on Sunday. And then, I got a call from the same spot three days later. Some poor bloke had the occupants of his restaurant flee (some without paying their bills) which is unfortunate. Half were inside and half outside. Poor bees. It happens to the best of us but someone here clearly needs to brush up on their swarm control .. swarms in central London aren't ideal.

View attachment 8802

View attachment 8803

Brings new meaning to the phrase 'dine and dash'

Small swarm on outside of garden wall this evening. Residential street near town center so had plenty of interested passersby including the takeaway delivery man who stayed to watch from his van! Luckily very calm bees. Everyone very positive and pleased to see the swarm - makes a nice change.

Rich

Nice height but rapped around the tree, brushed it into a carrier bag and then in a nuc.

I'd just like to say a bit 'thank you' to everybody who's contributed descriptions, pictures and videos to this thread so far. :winner1st:

:iagree: I had to collect a swarm and was much more confident in what I was doing have read this thread and the shared experiences/techniques.

My photo did not really turn out well but if I get another will be sure to post.

Thanks to everyone

Agreed, really interesting to see photos and read about how they are captured. Am looking to get my first bees at the moment, hopefully I might be able to get a swarm soon - been reading far too much, getting a bit obsessed (haven't started dreaming about bees yet though!)

Hi, I collected my first swarm yesterday.... All went textbook. Wedged box in tree below swarm, snipped of the smaller branches that they were clinging to, then brushed the rest gently in. A few stragglers fell on to the sheet below, so I left the box on the sheet. Watched for a few minutes, as they all dutifully walked in. Came back a few hours later, just after sunset and collected them. Simple!

IMAG1336.jpg

IMAG1339.jpg

My easiest ever swarm.

This one was at knee hight - just tapped them into my poly nuc and job done :)

Last edited:
Nice simple one at head height this afternoon, hopefully they will still be in the skep when i go to collect them later...

would have posted a pic of bees in a compost bin
Bumbles in a squirrel box... 50 mile round trip !
2 more swarms moving into bait hives!...

what a day !

nothing will upload!

The biggest I've ever captured! Their covering 6 frames!

Had time to Look through this thread today and found it really interesting thank you. Makes me think that the swarm we caught may only have been a cast. It was quite small but the queen is laying well.
And reading the piece on insurance does taking my own swarm, taking a friends swarm and failing to take a third now count as experience? I had our association swarm man on the phone for the first one.

Last edited:
Hi Tabby 15,
Quote Had time to Look through this thread today and found it really interesting thank you. Makes me think that the swarm we caught may only have been a cast. It was quite small but the queen is laying well.Unquote

How long after you hived your swarm/cast did you find eggs?

A "Swarm" contains a mated queen and leaves when the queen cells are capped. When hived she will come back into lay in a few days.
A "cast" leaves when the first queen cell emerges and therefore contains a virgin queen who then has to mate so there is usually a 14 day delay before eggs are seen.

The size of the swarm just depends on the number of flying bees - first "prime" swarm can be huge the 3rd cast from the same hive can be tiny.

Picture upload should be fixed for anyone still waiting to upload images.

Admin.

Thanks MJBee must Have been a swarm then as we had eggs within seven days. Thank you for the info. I had not made the connection that of course a cast queen would not be mated.

my easiest ever swarm

can upload pic now :)

Latest posts

Back