Post your 2013 swarm photos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice swarm near me wish they was all as easy as this

Use just the imaging code then pics will open within forum !
Just a thought :)
VM

Those pics do show nicely in the forum ... even showing as pictures in your post 'quoting' them!

After the upload problem was fixed, I couldn't see old pics. But after clearing my web browser's cache, I can see old and new (like those).

Swarm Picture......without the swarm!

I couldn't cope with the ladder and carrying the camera too but they really were up there, honest!
Why they couldn't choose the young sapling nearby I really don't know!
And yes, it was very safe, despite how it looks 'Jimmy's Dad' is Mr Elf and Safety himself!!

Oooo.... I think I need to get me one of those towers for next time!

I think you'd need to get yourself a "pasma" certificate or you could be fined for using one of those.

"All companies / employers who use scaffold towers should be aware that the Work at Height Regulations 2005 require that the assembly, dismantling or alteration of scaffold towers should only be undertaken by a competent person."

H&S takes all the fun out of doing things now a days so much so in the building industry you'll need to write a risk assessment soon just to get out of bed in the mornings.

Last edited:
It doesnt apply to an individual using a tower as long as they are not employed to use it.

Call yesterday to "bees in the hedge, there were some around when we cut it down but lots more now", couldn't elicit any more than that but went anyway expecting it to be bumbles. Pleasantly surprised though...

I don't think they were there when they cut the hedge down! With a bit of trimming managed to squeeze a skep under and get most in first time.

Rich

Interesting one today, two distinctly separate clusters about 12 inches apart. The question - is this two swarms?
I shook each cluster into a separate box and placed them on a plank 3ft apart facing each other.
Both boxes had bees at the entrance fanning like mad - 2 swarms? - However after about 20 minutes the occupants of the RH box all marched out and into the LH box - one very large swarm captured:winner1st:

Interesting one today, two distinctly separate clusters about 12 inches apart. The question - is this two swarms?
I shook each cluster into a separate box and placed them on a plank 3ft apart facing each other.
Both boxes had bees at the entrance fanning like mad - 2 swarms? - However after about 20 minutes the occupants of the RH box all marched out and into the LH box - one very large swarm captured:winner1st:

Well done!
Excellent thinking in an exciting situation.
And I've learned a new trick ... not worthy

MJBee, I had one recently split over about 8',but were one and the same and unites themselves.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I wrestled with this for approx 5 hours today.

Collected it from where it had swarmed thankfully already in a card board box thanks to the hive owners and set off for apiary. As it was so hot I knew it could not stay in the box so took the decision to hive it and it immediately took off 15 feet up an oak tree, went and collected my friends excellent tree swarm catcher and hived the swarm. All looked good but slowly they all came out onto the side of the hive, I scooped up as many as possible and put them back into the hive, out they slowly came once more and this time put back in with a frame of brood but no it was way to hot and they preferred to be outside.

I sat and watched them for a while as they took off again and thought please disappear but as I stood in the centre of this swirling mass of bees they settled on the fence close by, an easy collection and as the day was cooling down a better chance to hold them.

It was no fun at times close to 30*, eyes stinging with the sweat running into them and towards the end a head ache as if someone was hitting me over the head with a baseball bat. If they stay perhaps worth it.

This swarm found its way into my loft via the bat's entrance up in the eaves.

Placed a nuc box on the balcony and opened the loft hatch and out they all flew, into the box...hived them straightaway; that's what I like to see, well-trained bees...bee-smillie

It was there yesterday. Bees bearding over the outside of a nuc box on a balcony, grass behind.
Maybe fallen foul of the ongoing upgrade?

Yes, looks like it's disappeared, lol. Bees haven't though (I hope...)
I'll try the pic again when admin's fixed the server :)

Latest posts

Back