Positioning of superseded cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How why? In my opinion that's not true. Your not taking anything from them by opening a hive. My bees get on with it regardless. How can opening a hive set it back days? Not being funny but they don't stop gathering nectar or pollen and the heat is back to normal within minutes. I don't see the logic at all. I hear it all the time but no logical explanation at all. Surly it's not as invasive as the old skep beekeeping? Some hives don't need it some do. And it's not continues its a matter of properly assessing and managing hives based on your findings. Some of my hives I don't inspect for up to two weeks. The thing people are misunderstanding is that beekeeping isn't on a schedule. Bees don't keep to any schedule and bees build and cap cells in days. My bees continously slip a queen cell past me I knock down. Keeping a schedule in beekeeping isnt productive for me at the moment. Every swarm I lose is a hive I don't have. When I get to the number of hives I want ill consider a schedule but until then every swarm I lose is a failure for not being dedicated and being lazy. Also for me splitting a hive too early because I've failed at keeping it producing is a failure. I like my queens to have at least two broods minimum to lay in. I currently have hives with two broods full of capped emerging at the start of the heather flow. Those hives can bring in a full brood of honey in a few days in good weather. My queens haven't even started to reduce laying. Your probably keeping totally different strains of bees to me. I'll send you a queen if you like you won't have it long. When I say two broods that's capped brood. I'm keeping the queen restricted to the two broods. Try to inspect my queen's at the rate you do and you won't have an apiary
Well I watch my bees very closely and I know that the more I needlessly interfere with the brood nest the less productive they become and it would appear that you were in a minority of one in here (well two now that CGF has thrown his hat into the ring). You and he may consider yourselves to be proper beekeepers but I just hope that your ideas if proper beekeeping are not influencing any more people to follow your lead.. one gullible person should be enough.

Well I watch my bees very closely and I know that the more I needlessly interfere with the brood nest the less productive they become and it would appear that you were in a minority of one in here (well two now that CGF has thrown his hat into the ring). You and he may consider yourselves to be proper beekeepers but I just hope that your ideas if proper beekeeping are not influencing any more people to follow your lead.. one gullible person should be enough.
Talking of throwing hats into the ring. Patrick has `an interesting thread to do just that

What is a "proper beekeeper?".
@Worker bee says, " And it's not continuous, its a matter of properly assessing and managing hives based on your findings. Some of my hives I don't inspect for up to two weeks" So, like you and me, they're also "watching their bees very closely."
I see some things from @Worker bee 's descriptions which are worth thinking about positively and maybe adaptng into my own beekeeping.

So one "gullible" person wasn't enough....make that two. ;)

@Worker bee says, " And it's not continuous, its a matter of properly assessing and managing hives based on your findings. Some of my hives I don't inspect for up to two weeks" So, like you and me, they're also "watching their bees very closely."
I see some things from @Worker bee 's descriptions which are worth thinking about positively and maybe adaptng into my own beekeeping.

Good luck with that then ... each to their own... just don't expect me to agree with you.

How opening up a hive every 2-3 days, looking and taking down all Q cells (surely you need to knock off the bees for that), not considered interfering and by that setting them back?

Here's my take, keeping bees isn't about having huge colonys that you need or have to keep knocking cells down that's just going to wear you out.
Yes hybrid vigour is good if you have them set up right to build into a huge colony but unless you have them going to crops what's, the point? they are never going to perform??

I like this saying area specific bees my colonys this season that are more hybrid than blacks have performed better on crops, just looking at the performance of them.
Where as my blacks have performed better in areas that are less hospitable, as you all know Im a beekeeper with colonys mainly on high ground and some on valley floors so I get to see the difference between both locations.
And open Mating you get a variety of reared stock.

As a beefarmer I would prefer most stock to stay in one box, and be able to manipulate that one box to build the colony up quicker, be none swarmy, gentle enough to handle and Hardy, use minimal stores over winter and collect at least two supers from the main flow, as I can move bees around from spring through to autumn I can maximize this and at least double that 2 supers.
You take a colony that has less vigour to crops they will swarm. As I said above area specific bees.
I have stock I'm rearing from for vigour/ buildup and stock I have for unhospitable places and Heather / high ground.
The comparison would be hybrids /purer black stock.

I’m glad you said some.
I’m hoping you excluded knocking queen cells down

How opening up a hive every 2-3 days, looking and taking down all Q cells (surely you need to knock off the bees for that), not considered interfering and by that setting them back?
Not to mention feeding them throughout the season
"It's honey Jim - but not as we know it"

Titus Oates ..... one of my heroes !
What? the perjurer and serial liar, changed his religion more frequently than his underwear, fabricator of the popish plot to assassinate Charles II. who lied himself into almost every position he held in his life and had the accusation of buggery with one of his pupils hanging over his head for years? finally convicted of fraud and perjury, defrocked and pilloried before being whipped out of London Died in obscurity in 1705.
That Titus Oates?

What? the perjurer and serial liar, changed his religion more frequently than his underwear, fabricator of the popish plot to assassinate Charles II. who lied himself into almost every position he held in his life and had the accusation of buggery with one of his pupils hanging over his head for years? finally convicted of fraud and perjury, defrocked and pilloried before being whipped out of London Died in obscurity in 1705.
That Titus Oates?
No... the one who said ' I'm just going outside .. I may be a little while' sadly he never returned ! :)

Latest posts

Back