Positioning of superseded cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not? If I had 50 colonys of either types I wonder who would perform better and which ones would swarm the most.
The colonys that had the bees to perform and build up rapidly or the colonys that didn't.
A bit like me eating as much food as I can in comparison to a bigger guy who can put it away for fun and have the capacity to utilise it.

I don't have enough experience to know who's right on this one. But I do get what @Curly green finger's is saying. I'm always reading that some bees are more "swarmy" than others. I realise that there are loads of factors which contribute to that, but isn't a major one that each distinct type of bee has an optimum, natural, colony size. Therefore, without human input, a less vigorous type of bee would reach breaking point earlier than a more vigorous one, all other things being equal?

No you are still saying that small colonies swarm more readily than big ones that build up rapidly.
Yes if they have all the forage like what I have suggested in my previous posts, on tap on there doorstep.

Im not the only one to say this.
Another beefarmer I know who keeps different bees
Has sampled this he is a migratory beefarmer ,i feel like doing this :banghead:.
Perhaps I'm not explaining myself as usual.

Last edited:
I think working with your bees is a better concept

We like to think that's what we're doing but in reality, we're working them rather than working with them. I think @Worker bee is taking that to a limit where I wouldn't want to go, but I like the honest acceptance that beekeeping pushes and stretches the bees' capacity to the limit.

I've seen plenty of scathing opinions expressed about the "beekeeping" of those who do work with their bees by just letting them be; Worker bee is just going full pelt in the opposite direction; is that wrong too?

. Therefore, without human input, a less vigorous type of bee would reach breaking point earlier than a more vigorous one, all other things being equal?
Some bees are more swarmy than others yes and will swarm when the colony is smaller than another which isn’t swarmy But that’s not the same as saying small colonies swarm more easily. And what does not coping with forage mean?

Some bees are more swarmy than others yes and will swarm when the colony is smaller than another which isn’t swarmy But that’s not the same as saying small colonies swarm more easily. And what does not coping with forage mean?

Good point and I don't know a bee who can't cope with good forage. ;)

I've seen plenty of scathing opinions expressed about the "beekeeping" of those who do work with their bees by just letting them be; Worker bee is just going full pelt in the opposite direction; is that wrong too?
In my opinion he can do what he likes it’s just that beginners who can’t keep their hands out of their colonies anyway might get the idea that it’s ok

In my opinion he can do what he likes it’s just that beginners who can’t keep their hands out of their colonies anyway might get the idea that it’s ok

.......a perfect description of me.....hangs head in shame. :)

Your explanation then pls? For this young wet behind the ears beekeeper?

My best effort :

Hybrid vigour is the term for an improvement in genetic strength that occurs when an inbred strain is crossed with a specimen from outside its family.

So it can only occur if there has been an inbreeding problem.

If both parents come from non-inbred stock then hybrid vigour does not apply.

Mating two bees of the same species together could provide hybrid vigour if one or both bees was inbred

So mating a poodle with a cocker spaniel (cockapoo) does not, in its own, provide hybrid vigour. It would only do so if one or both parents had suffered from inbreeding. Ditto for a horse with a donkey, or a black bee with a Buckfast, or whatever.

Another example. My parents both come from non-inbred families. As such, them mating has not led to hybrid vigour, and I'm not (necessarily) genetically better than my parents

Last edited:
My best effort :

Hybrid vigour is the term for an improvement in genetic strength that occurs when an inbred strain is crossed with a specimen from outside its family.

Mating two bees of the same species together could provide hybrid vigour if one or both bees was inbred

So mating a poodle with a cocker spaniel (cockapoo) does not, in its own, provide hybrid vigour. It would only do so if one or both parents had suffered from inbreeding. Ditto for a horse with a donkey, or a black bee with a Buckfast, or whatever.

Another example. My parents both come from non-inbred families. As such, them mating has not led to hybrid vigour, and I'm not (necessarily) genetically better that my parents
I get what your saying
It just goes to show that trolls not only live under bridges but also keep bees ?
He not trolling what!

Hybrid vigour
Here's a link to hopefully clarify what it is for the beginners out there. :)
Not a good one for beginners? 😉
I did genetics at uni and I had to read it twice.
Boston Bees’ explanation is better
My best effort :

Another example. My parents both come from non-inbred families. As such, them mating has not led to hybrid vigour, and I'm not (necessarily) genetically better than my parents

Latest posts

Back