Positioning of superseded cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too often imho but who am I to say, not my bees or place to say. For a newbie though it is best not to recommend imv.

Following what happened to the colonys, observations, behaviour, inspecting every 2/3 days.
You have a unique approach to bee farming I must admit.
Lots of farmers working two broods take 30 seconds to lift the top box to check for queen cells and move on.
I don’t know where you find the time

Who, apart from a retired hobbyist with nothing better to do has the time to go clattering into the hive every two or three days?
Who indeed ? Nobody in their right mind - every time you crack open a hive it sets that colony back by days ... unless you inspect them from the field gate I suppose ?

You have a unique approach to bee farming I must admit.
Lots of farmers working two broods take 30 seconds to lift the top box to check for queen cells and move on.
I don’t know where you find the time
And some inspect their colonies once every 10 days ... every unnecessary visit costs money - time, labour, travel - it's hard enough to make money farming bees without inspecting them every 72 hours ... Absolute nonsense.

And some inspect their colonies once every 10 days ... every unnecessary visit costs money - time, labour, travel - it's hard enough to make money farming bees without inspecting them every 72 hours ... Absolute nonsense.
Ow for god sake your going of on one Philip as per usual.
Good evening.

Excuse me ? Who pulled your chain ??
I inspect a few colonys regularly and it's wrong?? All for learning about superseding colonys, you say it knocks colonys back for days hey?
You just exaggerate most of what I say pretty much like all the time.
I am a beefarmer I also work as a landscaper and have a large family.
Busy as a bee, I still find some time to come on here read books, plant in the garden.... Beefarming doesn't take that much time up.

I think it was you?
Perhaps start a poll ...

" That's a dedicated beekeeper for you, I will look in at most three day intervals, some would think we would be messing to much imo idts! "

Those who think three day inspections are a good idea ....and those who think they are idts !

All for learning about superseding colonys

Can I suggest you watch one of Keith Delaplane's talks titled 'mutiny in the bee colony' (there's a couple of different versions on YouTube). It's all speculation at present but he's got some interesting ideas (via the work of Robin Moritz) on supersedure.

Can I suggest you watch one of Keith Delaplane's talks titled 'mutiny in the bee colony' (there's a couple of different versions on YouTube). It's all speculation at present but he's got some interesting ideas (via the work of Robin Moritz) on supersedure.
Will do mate later

Thank you for that. Fascinating explanation for why we should be raising queens from swarm cells not supersedure cells. Absolutely nothing to do with larval nutrition but to do with who chooses the egg?..the queen or the workers? and how the patrilines of each differ.
From 50 minutes if anybody doesn't' feel like trawling through the rest.

Anyone want to give us a quick explanation.

Anyone want to give us a quick explanation.
Seems to be early days and he still needs to do the research but basically the theory stems from Moritz's discovery of 'Royal family' lineages amongst queen's raised by the bees. But where I think a lot of us assumed those lineages were in some way positive things he's (and I think Moritz) speculating that the 'royal family' lineages are actually socially disruptive/parasitic.

Honestly, it's best to watch one of the videos. I've seen at least 3 versions, one of them is far more detailed than the others but I can't remember which it is off the top of my head.

Seems to be early days and he still needs to do the research but basically the theory stems from Moritz's discovery of 'Royal family' lineages amongst queen's raised by the bees. But where I think a lot of us assumed those lineages were in some way positive things he's (and I think Moritz) speculating that the 'royal family' lineages are actually socially disruptive/parasitic.

Honestly, it's best to watch one of the videos. I've seen at least 3 versions, one of them is far more detailed than the others but I can't remember which it is off the top of my head.
I've not looked for it yet as I'm jarring honey but can someone put a link up pls on here.

I've not looked for it yet as I'm jarring honey but can someone put a link up pls on here.

This is one version (which I hadn't seen before), there must be quite a few on YouTube. They don't all discuss the idea in the same detail. You'll note that he seems to be using 'supersedure' interchangeably with what we might usually class as 'emergency' but the point is he's talking about larvae chosen by the workers rather than random eggs laid in queen cups.

Latest posts

Back