Poppy's Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Village is close to ours which made me rather paranoid about my hive for a couple of weeks. Original story was in our local Facebook pages and NextDoor group and shared many times, so very glad this ensured enough money and offers of help so she could get started again.

Hi all, Thank you all again for you lovely comments and interest. It's been a very strange few weeks for us all. Poppy however has handled it all very well and has loved talking to Journalists. She even went live on BBC Radio Sussex. The piece in the Express was great. They even sent a photographer down to take some nice pictures.

We haven't yet started beekeeping again as we are still preparing the new site. Its crazy the effort we are having to make to make our future bees safe. We are rather overwhelmed by all the offers of bees, hives and donations. Many people including Ian have asked us to accept Nucs even though we have explained we already have a couple of replacements, it been a really lovely response. Poppy is very excited. We have ordered new fencing and posts and levelled the floor and have had a security guy pop out the have a look at installing and light and camera so we can get an alert to our phones should anyone go near the hives.

Poppy loves sharing her videos on Facebook so is planning on doing a series for kids to learn about bees from a nuc to full size hive and following them through out the year. She would also love to make up seed packs and info sheets for local kids to learn about bees their gardens so some of the money left over will probably go towards this. We have also spoken to a local charity that provides meals to kids during the holidays and we are looking at ways to provide beekeeping experience days to some of these children providing we can get the right insurance.

It's going to be a very exciting year and I will message again in a few weeks with an update. I hope you are all well and your bees have thrived over the last month.

Lee x

PS, @Ian123 we are looking forward to meeting you soon

Lee. Thank you for posting an update. You have a charming daughter. We would all love to hear how she gets on now and again. A lot of folk here go nowhere near Facebook or Twitter. 💖💖

Lee. Thank you for posting an update. You have a charming daughter. We would all love to hear how she gets on now and again. A lot of folk here go nowhere near Facebook or Twitter. 💖💖
Thank you very much. I will keep you posted and let you know how we are doing.

As far as i know Simon the beekeeper replaced all the gear for her free of charge.what a great gesture from him,but why has he not been mentioned

As far as i know Simon the beekeeper replaced all the gear for her free of charge.what a great gesture from him,but why has he not been mentioned
Hi. Yes Simon did send Poppy a hive and he also sent her a new suit. If you look on Poppys page on Facebook she thanked him on there and we messaged him personally.

He also share her post on his business account. is the link if you would like to have a look.

He also told me about simons kind gesture.......slow day?

£1,500 .... a tidy profit made on the whole exercise :ROFLMAO:

Hi @Boston Bees . It has been incredible the donations that have been made. We really are gobsmacked and hugely grateful. I wouldn't really call it a profit though. Most of this money will be spent on buying materials to fence off a small area and security that we shouldn't have to worry about just so we can keep bees.

This "whole exercise" hasn't been easy. It's certainly been made a lot easier by the donations and offers to help us get back on track and the people that have continued to offer hives, bees or donations even though we have said we have replacements have been amazing and I am so very grateful.

But unfortunately Poppy had a Queen bee that to her was like a pet. She had plans to split this year and grow our numbers and she was really excited to produce a family tree of all the Queens we ever had from Queen Luna and her daughters.

Although we won't be able to carry out our plans we made for this year we are now able to make new plans thanks to hundreds of amazing people and Poppy and I feel more supported and encouraged to start again and grow our relatively new hobby, we only started keeping bees last year and it was our only hive.

I don't know how yet but when we are set up we hope to help out others where we can and try and make others smile just like so many have made us smile.

All the best

Lee

Poppy's misfortune has turned out very good for her and put her in the lime light, so in a way the theft has turned out in fairly good way for a change.
Top marks to STBK for his generous help as well.

Lovely to meet you Ian and thank you again for a wonderful morning. Poppy and I really enjoyed it.

Thank you so much for everything. It really is appreciated. We will keep you posted and look forward to welcoming you to our apiary if you are ever down this way.

Attachments

• 205982697_4123327137763223_4357296384913896304_n.jpg
    205982697_4123327137763223_4357296384913896304_n.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back