polystyrene Bee Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noshybabs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Has anyone any experience with these? They are so cheap in comparison to all the wooden ones i have seen.

For a beginner, do you think they are worth while?

Loads to read through about poly hives if you use the search function.

Most are still using wooden hives, but more and more UK bee keepers are buying poly hives now they are supplied within the UK and at a very competitive price.

Try using the forum search tool, there are many threads on Poly hives.
On this forum there are many that use them and probably quite a few just trying them out as well as those that prefer wooden hives.

Personally I will soon belong to the 2nd group.

Yea sorry, i nover thought of the search tool. Does anyone here actually have one?

Umm yes... see nick....lol

Been using them since 1988 or so.

PH

Yea sorry, i nover thought of the search tool. Does anyone here actually have one?

Here is one for you (see pic)

Sorry Couldn't resist (excuse my sense of humour today)

Personally not but members such as PolyHive for example use them!

I made the switch last summer, down to curiosity, overall cost and they are lighter, the most important factor for me is they have been superb for overwintering and have given my bees the best spring start in 4 years. I just bought another last week, only pet hate is painting them as some sections are fiddly but thats a minor issue.

What are these polystyrene Bee Hives like in the wind as I would imagine there are very light?

grizzly - is it necessary to paint them, or is it just that they look better? Most of the national polys I've seen have been painted, but the Turkish Apimaye hives seem to be used in all teh pictures I've seen without painting. If they had been in National not Langstroth size I would have bought when I looked at them last year.
regards ANdy

Poly hives have been going for a long time, mostly on the continent.

I have wooden hives but poly nucs. If you have to overwinter a nucleus the poly ones are excellent. If you're thinking of getting one I'm sure one of the poly afficionados will tell you that the thing to check is the density of the polystyrene: if it's soft and bobbly and looks like packaging for a new electrical appliance then you're being had, basically... bees will just shred it up and thrown it out. But if it's made of a hard, compressed polystyrene and only just lighter than a cedar wood hive, then you've probably found a good supplier or at least good materials.

The paint serves two purposes.

One is to protect the surface of the poly from the UV. 2nd is to assist in avoiding drifting.

As for wind I have had the odd roof blow off and if that happens I double up the bricks. I use the bricks to tell stories as well, making a virtue out of a necessity.

PH

Was it meant to? Just seemed a bit odd to make that comment?

PH

I have nursed bee 48 yeas. first two polyboxes I bought 1987. I use 3 poly as brood. Old full wood boxes I use as supers.

A white polybox reflects the ligh so that bees whirl lon time before they land in upper entrance.

Last summer I bought 40 used 20 years box with price 7 euros per piece.

I make bottoms and inner covers from wood. They are handy to keep clean.

What was the question, has any used. yes.

Turkish Apimaye hives seem to be used in all teh pictures I've seen without painting

Fairly irrelevant. The thread title is 'polystyrene Bee Hives'

RAB

Fair point! I was thinking about hives made from alternative materials, the Apimaye are plastic, not poly as you rightly point out - but like poly they are cheaper than cedar, and do apparently have good thermal qualities.

Latest posts

Back