polystyrene Bee Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah them.

Bargepole comes to mind.

Air circulation for warmth may very well work wonders in hot climates but in the UK??????

I thought we were discussing polystyrene not polyurethane?

PH

I bought a Dulux Weathershield smooth masonry paint, but i think there are cheaper alternatives.

I made the switch last summer, down to curiosity, overall cost and they are lighter, the most important factor for me is they have been superb for overwintering and have given my bees the best spring start in 4 years. I just bought another last week, only pet hate is painting them as some sections are fiddly but thats a minor issue.

Screwfix do a sprayer for £15ish, do the Cuprinol, spray the wall then do the hive with Weathershield X 2 coats and a third for fun in spatter mode.

Takes 5 mins to spray and two hours to dry.

Here's two I did earlier from Mod Beek

That's a tidy job on the paint, what sort of spray gun did you use? I usually use a gun designed for spraying the underbody of a car.

I used a blue once and ended up over painting it, it glowed in the light, worked like a beacon.....

Any paint apart from cellulose.

PH

Last I used sale car sprays. The bottle was 2 euros. I bought perhaps 15 spray bottles.

Isn't Weathershield a bit thick for spraying?.If you thinned it down,how much water did you add-thin out to a light cream perhaps?

Why spray, brushing has done me proud for over twenty five years, and if you really really want a lovely smooth look then use a roller?

PH

My gun will cope with thick paint but you just need to move the gun quickly to stop a thick build up of paint. But that can be a pain having said that though.

You can do a whole hive roof and floor with two supers in 5 minutes whit spraying hence why I don't use a brush.

"You can do a whole hive roof and floor with two supers in 5 minutes whit spraying hence why I don't use a brush."

but how long to clean the spray gun properly afterwards?

Cleaning a spray gun takes a good half hour with gloss paint.

Done it many a time on the rigs.

PH

Two minutes to clean the gun as it's not a traditional gun. Just a schaultz gun, to clean it all you do is stand it in some clean water and blow it through.

"Two minutes to clean the gun as it's not a traditional gun. Just a schaultz gun, to clean it all you do is stand it in some clean water and blow it through."

that's not what the instructions say!!!

It is essential that the spray gun is
cleaned thoroughly after every use. Failure to
clean it will almost certainly result in blockages
and it may not operate when you next come to
use it !
THE FOLLOWING ACTION MUST BE TAKEN
AFTER EVERY USE
1. Remove the container and pour the remaining
liquid back in the can.
2. Clean the container thoroughly using paint
thinner.
3. Put some suitable thinner into the container
and be sprayed through the spray gun until only
clean thinner comes out of the nozzle.
4. Remove the container, the suction tube and
the filter.
5. Thoroughly clean the container, the suction
tube and filter with thinner.
6. Loosen the nozzle slightly, unscrew the
locknut and pull the nozzle and piston assembly
out of the unit.
7. Move the nozzle and locknut from the cylinder,
take the valve out of the cylinder.
8. Clean the nozzle, valve, locknut, cylinder,
piston spring and piston thoroughly with
thinner.
9. Use the cleaning pin to clear the nozzle and
the swirl head of the valve.
10.Apply a few drop of light lubricating oil to the
piston, piston spring and cylinder.
11. Reassemble the spray gun.
12. Clean the outside of the machine with a
moist cloth.

Why spray, brushing has done me proud for over twenty five years, and if you really really want a lovely smooth look then use a roller?

PH

sell out bottles were very cheap. Color was OK.

Surely there is a best winner method but I use it, what is handy at that situation.

"Two minutes to clean the gun as it's not a traditional gun. Just a schaultz gun, to clean it all you do is stand it in some clean water and blow it through."

that's not what the instructions say!!!

It is essential that the spray gun is
cleaned thoroughly after every use. Failure to
clean it will almost certainly result in blockages
and it may not operate when you next come to
use it !
THE FOLLOWING ACTION MUST BE TAKEN
AFTER EVERY USE
1. Remove the container and pour the remaining
liquid back in the can.
2. Clean the container thoroughly using paint
thinner.
3. Put some suitable thinner into the container
and be sprayed through the spray gun until only
clean thinner comes out of the nozzle.
4. Remove the container, the suction tube and
the filter.
5. Thoroughly clean the container, the suction
tube and filter with thinner.
6. Loosen the nozzle slightly, unscrew the
locknut and pull the nozzle and piston assembly
out of the unit.
7. Move the nozzle and locknut from the cylinder,
take the valve out of the cylinder.
8. Clean the nozzle, valve, locknut, cylinder,
piston spring and piston thoroughly with
thinner.
9. Use the cleaning pin to clear the nozzle and
the swirl head of the valve.
10.Apply a few drop of light lubricating oil to the
piston, piston spring and cylinder.
11. Reassemble the spray gun.
12. Clean the outside of the machine with a
moist cloth.

how many boxes is worth of job if you make your apparatus dirty?

I bought 30 polyboxes color price was about 15 euros. Just push a button!

But do as you like. Everyone can paint 5 or 10 boxes.

Whilst these have been posted I've painted 2 poly nucs and a couple of supers - looking lovely in Cuprinol garden willow shade. (mini roller and tray)

Only problem is due to an encounter with a child's bike prior to assembly one of the lugs has been damaged - What's the best glue to use on poly hives - dont want to melt it?

I normally use outdoor wood adhesive but a lot of people recommend polyurethane glue. Either of the two glues at the top of this page (http://www.screwfix.com/c/sealants-adhesives/wood-adhesives/cat850080) will work, but I would suggest you try the polyurethane.

If by "lug" you mean a tenon I suggest you don't bother to glue it back on unless you can be absolutely sure of getting it in the right place as the tolerances for assembly are very tight. Better to apply glue to it and push it into the mortice hole and then simply apply plenty of poly glue to the mating faces, which now includes the broken edges and stick the two side together in a butt joint.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back