Poly Hive's?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had wasp chewing the Paynes poly nuc when the bees did not, mind you they also chew the cedar hives and wooden fence as well. I also have mice chew my wood components.

Just an observation and from last seasons experience:
I have 10 Nucs and 4 have holes into the feeders from wasps (as attached). As you can see I have changed the entrance to a round disc. To make the hole for the disc a screwdriver was simply pushed through the poly, you couldnt do that with a MB and Sweinty bit of kit. As I said I like the Nucs as they are cheap enough and with a few mods very servicable.
Will be interested in how you get on with the hives?

Cheers
S
PS The white on the front is from where I painted inside with Sandtex to make the feeder rougher for bees. I am known to be a messy bxxxer when painting and this just proves it.

Yeah i had wasps chew the Nuc, but they didnt chew through. They just had a go on the outside surface and gave up.

Im not sure why you can poke a hole in the Paynes, but not the MB or the Sweinty ones. I thought there were the same density, unless the paynes are much thiner, which some people sugest they are. The side walls mesure up at 30mm thick and the front and back wall mesure up at 32mm thick. I would be interested to hear from others with the MB/Sweinty poly Nucs how thick there wall are. I like the paynes ones but if there are better ones out there i would also like to know

Yeah i had wasps chew the Nuc, but they didnt chew through. They just had a go on the outside surface and gave up.

Im not sure why you can poke a hole in the Paynes, but not the MB or the Sweinty ones. I thought there were the same density, unless the paynes are much thiner, which some people sugest they are. The side walls mesure up at 30mm thick and the front and back wall mesure up at 32mm thick. I would be interested to hear from others with the MB/Sweinty poly Nucs how thick there wall are. I like the paynes ones but if there are better ones out there i would also like to know

The measure comes from international standard. 10 frames and then out dimemsions.

But the wall thicknes has variety. Some walls are curved inmore on less, and most of the wall is thinner than the edges. Hand sites take more or less materiall from the wall.

That wall has 10 times better insulation value than wood.
10 mm polystyrene is equal 4 inches wood.

so the 'thin' Paynes nuc is the same as 12" of wood :cool:

MB poly is generally 40mm and about 17mm at handholds. Timber was 19 (3/4") but now likely only 18 (ply per eg) or sometimes 20mm. A couple of mm (+ or - 1mm) makes not a lot of difference as long as the inside dimensions are OK for the bee space, except that one may not get 12 Hoffmans in a National box unless they are very narrow frames or a really tight fit.

RAB

I've just taken delivery of my First hive :) It's a Paynes Poly 14x12. was a little shocked by the delivery before 08:00! First impressions are good, the only thing so far is the roof is a incredibly tight fit.
So if anyone want any pictures or dimensions just ask. It's now the long wait till spring to get some bees :)

Smuffles

the roof is a incredibly tight fit

Find out why before taking any remedial steps. May be tight lid or tight box below. Do you have supers with it? That shoud give a clue (and perhaps that is why you are telling us it is the roof - as you have already checked!).

It is new, so ask the suppliers for comments as a first step. They may advise what to do and will likely be aware (or at least would be now) of the problem. How it is fixed, if indeed it needs to be fixed by you, would depend on exactly where, how, and why it is tight, so that needs to be checked out, if Pains are unable to throw any light on the issue.

RAB

I've just taken delivery of my First hive :) It's a Paynes Poly 14x12. was a little shocked by the delivery before 08:00! First impressions are good, the only thing so far is the roof is a incredibly tight fit.
So if anyone want any pictures or dimensions just ask. It's now the long wait till spring to get some bees :)

Smuffles

Mine is out for delivery, it will be here around 2pm i cant wait!

the roof is a incredibly tight fit

Find out why before taking any remedial steps. May be tight lid or tight box below. Do you have supers with it? That shoud give a clue (and perhaps that is why you are telling us it is the roof - as you have already checked!).

It is new, so ask the suppliers for comments as a first step. They may advise what to do and will likely be aware (or at least would be now) of the problem. How it is fixed, if indeed it needs to be fixed by you, would depend on exactly where, how, and why it is tight, so that needs to be checked out, if Pains are unable to throw any light on the issue.

RAB

Cheers for the good reply RAB I've been having a look I bought 14x12 BB, 2 supers and a feeder. I would say its the lid that's at fault, as its tight on all. the roof was delivered on the BB which I could pick up by the roof as it was wedged on so tight. I'll email them and see what they say.

the roof was delivered on the BB which I could pick up by the roof

Ahh. That in itself is tight, but not necessarily 'incredibly tight'. Such is subjectivity. Incredibly tight to me is very considerable difficulty in getting them apart, needing excessive force to do so.

RAB

With a wooden hive, one wants a slightly loose-fitting roof, to allow some under-cold-roof ventilation.

But with a ('warm roof') plastic hive, would a top seal perhaps be actually a good thing?

With a wooden hive, one wants a slightly loose-fitting roof, to allow some under-cold-roof ventilation.

Sorry, but no. Looseness is for a tolerance fit for al boxes of nominal size and also, wood changes dimensionally, very slightly dependant on conditions. They should have ventilation designed in, not a sloppy fit.

would a top seal perhaps be actually a good thing?
No, again. Tightness may mean the designed contact surfaces do not actually contact - not a good situation for several reasons (egs air gaps in some places, spaces propolised by bees).

Regards, RAB

Not having handled any other poly hives I can't say if just the way they are but Mr Payne replied in record time saying that they were designed to be snug so i'd say job well done. I am very impressed :) now just to figure out if i can afford any more while the introductory offers is on.

Mr Payne replied in record time saying that they were designed to be snug

A predictable response.

just to figure out if i can afford any more while the introductory offers is on.

From their site: ALL ORDERS OVER £100 ARE FREE DELIVERY

Hope your initial order had just a few extra bits to save the shipping costs!

RAB

I bought a feeder with it to make sure i got the free delivery :) i'm a Yorkshire man after all.

Smuffles (or anyone else),

I just noticed that they (Pains) have (seemingly) cheated on the website by showing the pic of a deep as a jumbo. Am I correct?

The 14 x 12 brood appears to have the lifting surfaces sooo much closer to the bottom (I would think the same mould for the bottom and top are separate parts for the deep mould, and extended with a centre section (you will see joint lines on your box) for the extra-deep box.

I am not very likely to purchase any of these (although the website tries to persuade me they are compatible with my timber hives, I think not) because my kit is top bee space, but was wondering about the position of the hand-holds for carrying the box, when it could easily weigh well over 40kg. May not be a problem, but looks to me as though it may be awkward.

RAB

I just noticed that they (Pains) have (seemingly) cheated on the website by showing the pic of a deep as a jumbo. Am I correct?

The 14 x 12 brood appears to have the lifting surfaces sooo much closer to the bottom (I would think the same mould for the bottom and top are separate parts for the deep mould, and extended with a centre section (you will see joint lines on your box) for the extra-deep box.

I am not very likely to purchase any of these (although the website tries to persuade me they are compatible with my timber hives, I think not) because my kit is top bee space, but was wondering about the position of the hand-holds for carrying the box, when it could easily weigh well over 40kg. May not be a problem, but looks to me as though it may be awkward.

RAB

I think you are right in that they have used the same picture for the all of the "Complete Hives", jumbo and deep, as well as the same picture for all the "Basic Hives", jumbo and deep. The term cheat may be a bit strong though, as they do show the 14x12 brood box by itself (as you mention)

As to whether the grips are a bit low, possibly, but I'm not overly worried about it myself.

My thoughts are that pictorially it looks quite a good product, certainly of interest for those of us that have been waiting all this time for MB to come out with their 14x12. Looking forward to further comments on those actually getting their hands on these, meanwhile I'll wait patiently for :xmas-smiley-033:.

I like the snug lid, felt like it was designed for the box rather than ott on the tollerences. I seem to remember there was criticism that the nuc lid was too slack! Re the hand holds, as I said earlier they seemed good to me picking up an empty, time will tell when full but plenty to grip onto.

yes on the full hives they must have been to lazy to take a pic of the 14x12

I can't see any joint lines. Looks like it has its own mould. I guess the hand holds near the bottom help by keeping the walls thicker higher up as the narrow wall is only 25mm thick where the holds are the thick walls are 50mm

I did think it odd that the odd that holds weren't in the middle but they are good to lift.
RAB

Smuffles

Originally Posted by oliver90owner

yes on the full hives they must have been to lazy to take a pic of the 14x12

I can't see any joint lines. Looks like it has its own mould. I guess the hand holds near the bottom help by keeping the walls thicker higher up as the narrow wall is only 25mm thick where the holds are the thick walls are 50mm

I mesured the walls at 40mm on the sides and 68mm on the front and back. The handle holds only go in 10mm so that leaves 58mm thickness at these points

I did think it odd that the odd that holds weren't in the middle but they are good to lift.

RAB

if you took out/or didnt fit the metal rail (4mm) for the frames to sit on would that not make it top bee space?
As for lifting it when it has 40KG inside it, forget it! I would not even try and lift 40KG on my own, so it make no matter how low the handle holes are. Besides it makes the walls above the holding point thicker (68mm)
Smuffles

What i dont like are some holes that are punched into the hive, i will need to fill these. Inside they take 12 homans or 11 and a dummy. See pictures

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Latest posts

Back