Poly hive prices in Uk and Finland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the various prices, I am one who reads posts and if I have a constructive comment I add it, I think its good to compare prices from different parts of the world. I find there are individuals here who are far too keen to disrupt posts.

I'll sit back and wait for the flack to arrive.

Thanks. This thread is viewed 1500 times and frame saving thread 1700 times.

Herd of intelligents included....

My problem is not poly prices but working out a way to protect the Paynes hives from mice.

This year they are chewing holes in the poly above the plastic entrance block :(

Last edited:
My problem is not poly prices but working out a way to protect the Paynes hives from mice.

This year they are chewing holes in the poly above the plastic entrance block :(

That is rare. What I would do, I would put a wooden box upside down under the hive and there rat poison or rat traps.

Cement and wheat flour mixture may work well too.

Am I the only one who thinks the new brood body for paynes nucs is way over priced? A difference of £1.50 between this and the full size box!!!!?????

The material cost is not going to be much different, the time taken to make either product is going to be the same, the tooling costs are going to be similar (high) so for new products like these in an uncertain market place like UK beekeeping, it makes perfect business sense to recover your outlay as soon as possible.

for new products like these in an uncertain market place like UK beekeeping, it makes perfect business sense to recover your outlay as soon as possible.

However, if the customer is price-sensitive and the product is priced too high, the producer is less likely to recover his set-up costs from early adopters.
Price has less to do with the cost of production and more to do with what the market will bear (i.e. supply & demand)

Last edited:
A packet of honey and lemon strepsils cost 1/2 pence less in the shop next door, revolution here we come.. haha .

Millet,
While I can appreciate you are trying to have a laugh, you really should consider what you are trying to say and then maybe do it without the insulting racist terminology, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
However, if the customer is price-sensitive and the product is priced too high, the producer is less likely to recover his set-up costs from early adopters.
Price has less to do with the cost of production and more to do with what the market will bear (i.e. supply & demand)

This was my point. As a consumer I tend to consider my own finances, I don't tend to buy items out of sympathy because I feel the producer has spent out a lot to provide them.

I don't tend to buy items out of sympathy because I feel the producer has spent out a lot to provide them.

Absolutely!
The producer has to make the decision on whether the risk is acceptable for the reward he anticipates from the project

Absolutely!
The producer has to make the decision on whether the risk is acceptable for the reward he anticipates from the project

Going by the demand the price is about right I would say.

Maybe worth a tenner but for all of £1.50, may as well buy a full size box.

Perhaps the smaller box is not £1.50 less than the full size box, but the full size box is on offer at only £1.50 more than the smaller box price ? That sounds much more of a bargain now doesn't it :)

Seriously though, I know when we manufacture items in my other business, the cost of tooling and setup is quite a large investment to make and when it comes to sales of that new product, especially within a small market sector, those costs have to be absorbed by those product sales in a shorter time period. Whilst we can all be nitpicking here about costs of poly boxes on this occasion, without someone pushing forward with new product, there would never be a eureka moment or progression within a market sector that we can all enjoy.

I have no connection with the company mentioned here, or have ever bought or used their products.

Am I the only one who thinks the new brood body for paynes nucs is way over priced? A difference of £1.50 between this and the full size box!!!!?????

mAybe they're trying to clear all the old boxes, hence the relatively lower price?

Weelll, let us take a closer look.

Nuc is six frames, plus a feeder, so added manufacturing cost for the feeder, and outside dimensions are not so much less than the full box than one might expect, if one was comparing like with like.

I would expect that the material cost for the nuc likely exceeds that of the full box (ie nuc is heavier?). Most certainly the complexity of the nuc would demand a higher cost. So I am surprised that there should be any difference at all between each product.

Clearly the roof and floor components would have the same complexity and be proportionate in material usage (assuming here that the roofs are of similar thickness).

So yes, while you may not be the only one who 'thinks' like you, those that really do think about it may well come to a differing conclusion to yours

Latest posts

Back