New Member with worry about dead bees outside hive and being brought out of the hive!!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firstly thank all of you for coming back to this! I really appreciate it. I am now going to give images of the hive... and inform you of the kind gentleman who gave me the keen and frames, he is Halil and came from the eastern block where under the communist regime he has 200 hives to look after. he asked if he could use my garden and from there grew a ever increasing number of his homemade hives. Due to selling the property he slowly moved out and gave me a small hive last fall but that died in January when we had -7 degrees. He then Kindly replaced colony with my present hive. I have a Robert Lee hive, an old insulated one for next year and and old French one I use for storing kit and tools.

The anti verola sticks I purchase on line as well as a green paste which I believe is keeping well at bay.

I also enclose images of the Hive and a closer image of the burial ground 24 hours on.

Thank you so much I am feeling a lot better, I have not lifted the frames from the brood box as I really do not want to disturb and risk damaging the queen.

Best

Boylucid

PS why make so many drones in the first place? Does the queen really need that many???!!!!
We do need pictures of the brood frames
With some of the bees shaken off

If going by post#1 in London not far from Q.

One wild brace comb in one of the pics at the end of the brood box, really needs taking out and replacing with a frame. If careful is can be inserted in a frame and held by strong size no82 elastic bands.
The picture of the super of frames with foundation is totally void of bees it isn't needed on the hive as they aren't using it, one only needs to add extra space above if the bees are covering the super/honey box below by approx. 3/4's.
The dead bees outside looks fairly normal drones being expelled though a bit early not unusual and some dead workers, these are likely just end of life bees that are worn out. No shiny wet bees so look healthy enough.

That's what I thought but the later post left me a bit confused.

Looking at the photos he's got a brood box, a super, two more brood boxes with a queen excluder somewhere .. may be foundationless frames looking at the comb they have drawn and the box of new frames ? More questions than answers so far ... plus the hive in the OP's first photo has a landing board and a brick under the entrance and the stack in the later photos doesn't ?

The reason for so many drones is that they are raised for mating and increase of the colonies genes a natural process and harmony in the colony. If one removes drones or drone brood colonies will simply replace them as this helps the colonies out in other ways.
Some of us allow the bees to make there own comb and decide which size cell to construct, these colonies in general will contain a higher % of drones as that is what they decide to produce in spring and during the summer.

Yes BB's as supers and a multiple box system below.
I think Boylucid is having a few beginners issues with being left in at the deep end and little or no decent mentoring, which is to be expected with some new beeks. It can be a hard initiation without good mentoring/ help at hand.

Though he has done the correct thing and started to post and ask for help, what is needed is someone competent to physically get there hands on the colony to help and guide him along the way.

That's what I thought but the later post left me a bit confused.

Looking at the photos he's got a brood box, a super, two more brood boxes with a queen excluder somewhere .. may be foundationless frames looking at the comb they have drawn and the box of new frames ? More questions than answers so far ... plus the hive in the OP's first photo has a landing board and a brick under the entrance and the stack in the later photos doesn't ?

This looks to a different hive to the one in #1, maybe the the brick & landing board have been removed ?
There is a third hive just out of picture on the RHS is this empty ?
There may be nothing to much wrong but someone and Boylucid need to get a hold on the situation to sort a little bit of a mess out.
The large national set up needs condensing/rearranging as the space will be too much to over winter in.

Last edited:
Many reason's why the the colony has been continually fed.
1. The incentive to forage may be lacking due to continual feeding through out the spring and summer.
2. Bees were initially a weak colony and also may have been affected by nosema or varroa .
3. Bee population density may be high locally in the area and forage is at a premium.
4. Bees might just bee of poor stock/breeding.

What is the name of the varroa treatment of green paste ?

Firstly thank all of you for coming back to this! I really appreciate it. I am now going to give images of the hive... and inform you of the kind gentleman who gave me the keen and frames, he is Halil and came from the eastern block where under the communist regime he has 200 hives to look after. he asked if he could use my garden and from there grew a ever increasing number of his homemade hives. Due to selling the property he slowly moved out and gave me a small hive last fall but that died in January when we had -7 degrees. He then Kindly replaced colony with my present hive. I have a Robert Lee hive, an old insulated one for next year and and old French one I use for storing kit and tools.

The anti verola sticks I purchase on line as well as a green paste which I believe is keeping well at bay.

I also enclose images of the Hive and a closer image of the burial ground 24 hours on.

Thank you so much I am feeling a lot better, I have not lifted the frames from the brood box as I really do not want to disturb and risk damaging the queen.

Best

Boylucid

PS why make so many drones in the first place? Does the queen really need that many???!!!!

Well done for not running away and burying your head in the sand.
From a far all we can do is give some advice and try and help, ideally it is best if you can get some good mentoring/help. It may be prudent to join the local BKA then you might be lucky to find some one to give some help.

In the 2nd & 3rd pic of the larger colony remove the top brood box and QX, it isn't needed now at this time.
The main hive below what is the state of play in all boxes, how much brood is in each box and how much of it is frame of food stores ? Ideally they need condensing down once the varroa treatment, whatever it is has ended.

As Dani /erichalfbee has mentioned in #22 some pics of the the brood frames devoid of bees will be useful and pics of decent stores.

This is a different hive to the one in #1, the hive with the brick & landing board looks to be the third hive just out of picture on the RHS.
There may be nothing wrong but someone and Boylucid need to get a hold on the situation to sort a little bit of a mess out.
The large national set up needs condensing/rearranging as the space will be too much to over winter in.

No. this is the same hive the entrance with t he brick and landing board is round the other side!

1. The incentive to forage may be lacking due to continual feeding through out the spring and summer.
2. Bees were initially a weak colony and also may have been affected by nosema or varroa .
3. Bee population density may be high locally in the area and forage is at a premium.

Hello these are the sticks

These are the sticks I purchased and the green paste is a packet of Apilife VarScreen Shot 2021-08-18 at 12.12.35.png

At some stage as mentioned the colony will need reducing down to one or two brood boxes at some stage on the coming weeks.
Without an idea of how much brood each frame has or stores we can't give much advice.

Hello these are the sticks

These are the sticks I purchased and the green paste is a packet of Apilife VarView attachment 27993

Those sticks are a waste of time and money, be sensible and don't buy again.

Apilifevar wait until the treatment period has ended then deal with condensing the colony, the colony being treated will have a good chance of having varroa and viruses reduced so a good proactive move .

Last edited:
Yes BB's as supers and a multiple box system below.
I think Boylucid is having a few beginners issues with being left in at the deep end and little or no decent mentoring, which is to be expected with some new beeks. It can be a hard initiation without good mentoring/ help at hand.

Though he has done the correct thing and started to post and ask for help, what is needed is someone competent to physically get there hands on the colony to help and guide him along the way.
yes ... that's a fair assessment of the situation. It's difficult to describe what you are seeing in words when you are still learning the language of beekeeping and without other beekeepers to talk to and no courses available it's been a tough year for people who have leapt in at the deepend and hope they can swim !

Latest posts

Back