Poly hive help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Icanhopit (in whatever guise) uses them as I recall and at least one other forum member that I can think of.
However, one look at the price list for the various options suggests the majority of poly users have opted for a cheaper option. Considering this problem and at least one other that I've been told, I wonder how the inflated prices can be justified, even the 100mm of insulation that the roof is supposed to provide, only applies to the centre of the apex roof.

Whats the other youve been told?

Quite a large gap between mating faces, apart from the corners, when the boxes are stacked.

I know a reason for that, the joints need trimmed slightly to take any rough moulding bits off, also as soon as they are glued & put together lie them flat as they would sit on the hive & push down on all sides , worked for me.

... Considering this problem and at least one other that I've been told, I wonder how the inflated prices can be justified ...

As there seems to be a design fault ...

Quite a large gap between mating faces ...

Swarm, 'this' problem isn't a problem - not to me, as I've already explained. It would be interesting to see if there's an owner who, like Jonny, thought the measurements are wrong. Jonny's brace comb problem might have been due to other reasons, such as the bees needing space or wanting to build drone comb.

I don't know what 'design fault' Drex is talking about apart from, perhaps, the lack of a lug recess - but then, that absence doesn't cause any problems either.

Neither do I have a problem with large gaps.

This hive is strong and very easy to manage, particularly compared to the only other 500x500 hive I know of. My only issue with it is that I don't like 500x500 hives - but that's not a design fault.
Kitta

I totally agree Kitta, i went for the jumbo 14x12 purely for the bees, for the extra room & hopefully less chance of swarming. I dont plan on moving these hives so thats no problem. I looked at various types of hive before starting & chose these as they suited me in every way. Yes i found a problem but i'm sure all hives have problems, i wasnt trying to pick fault , just looking to solve a problem i thought i had. I look forward to spring to see how well they looked after my bees . :)

Swarm, 'this' problem isn't a problem - not to me, as I've already explained. It would be interesting to see if there's an owner who, like Jonny, thought the measurements are wrong. Jonny's brace comb problem might have been due to other reasons, such as the bees needing space or wanting to build drone comb.

I don't know what 'design fault' Drex is talking about apart from, perhaps, the lack of a lug recess - but then, that absence doesn't cause any problems either.

Neither do I have a problem with large gaps.

This hive is strong and very easy to manage, particularly compared to the only other 500x500 hive I know of. My only issue with it is that I don't like 500x500 hives - but that's not a design fault.
Kitta

Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. I mean that when boxes are stacked, there is a gap between those boxes. You can see into them, they only meet at each corner. The only time I've seen this was a second wooden super that I bought a while ago.

500x500 came about by virtue of the inner dimension and material, I can see that but things would be a lot easier if purpose built additional items like excluders and various other boards, were available and not the cobbled on appearance that standard dimension items create. This is one reason I prefer the swienty, everything fits neatly. 500x500 is just too bulky, IMO.

Out of interest, did you try sanding a gnat's cockerel off the rails to get more of the usual size gap? The frames wouldn't move so easily but it should solve the problem.

Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. I mean that when boxes are stacked, there is a gap between those boxes. ...

Out of interest, did you try sanding a gnat's cockerel off the rails to get more of the usual size gap? The frames wouldn't move so easily but it should solve the problem.

Yes, I understood what you meant, Swarm. I don't have a problem with gaps between the boxes and it seems neither has Jonny.

I think if Jonny decided next summer that he still needs to alter the boxes, then your suggestion of shortening the rails a fraction is a good idea (but I don't think he needs to alter the spacing).
Kitta

Oh dear - I deleted this post. I was wrong on wrong! Sorry. Sanding down the rails in this box that he's already amended will help with the spacing above it - yes!

Last edited:
... I mean that when boxes are stacked, there is a gap between those boxes. You can see into them, they only meet at each corner. The only time I've seen this was a second wooden super that I bought a while ago.

Yes, I understood what you meant, Swarm. I don't have a problem with gaps between the boxes and it seems neither has Jonny.

:eek:

Much of the advantage of the insulation - gone!
Encouragement of bees to propolise the gaps, causing boxes to be well stuck together … and this is not a problem? Surely it must be worthwhile to tidy the corners, and get the thing sitting together snugly?

:eek:

Much of the advantage of the insulation - gone!
Encouragement of bees to propolise the gaps, causing boxes to be well stuck together … and this is not a problem? Surely it must be worthwhile to tidy the corners, and get the thing sitting together snugly?
Itma, my boxes don't have gaps.
I don't have a gap problem.
Kitta

Which boxes or hive is itma on about? I dont have gaps in mine. If they are built & glued correctly there shouldnt be any gaps, the only way i can think this could happen is if they were only supported on the very corners & the weight made them bow though i doubt even that could happen as they are so strong.

Which boxes or hive is itma on about? I dont have gaps in mine. If they are built & glued correctly there shouldnt be any gaps, the only way i can think this could happen is if they were only supported on the very corners & the weight made them bow though i doubt even that could happen as they are so strong.

Still BHS hives. I remember that when I first put them together, and before using them, I thought there were some small gaps between some boxes but they have disappeared in use. There aren't any gaps at all.

Perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. I mean that when boxes are stacked, there is a gap between those boxes. You can see into them, they only meet at each corner. …

... I remember that when I first put them together, and before using them, I thought there were some small gaps between some boxes but they have disappeared in use. There aren't any gaps at all.

Thanks for clarifying that.
My understanding of "I don't have gaps" and "I don't have a problem with {those} gaps" is rather different. :)
A bit of weight in (most) boxes does serve to help them fit together better!

Thanks for clarifying that.
My understanding of "I don't have gaps" and "I don't have a problem with {those} gaps" is rather different. :)
A bit of weight in (most) boxes does serve to help them fit together better!
Agreed. I didn't say or imply the second sentence! The hives don't have gaps. Period.

Latest posts

Back