Poly crown board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The poly hive I got with the bees I bought in the spring came with a clear plastic crown board. This wasn't on the hive because it had a wooden super on top so had a wooden crown board. I've put all the poly bits together today. Changed the wooden super for a poly one, swapped the wooden crown board for the clear plastic one and topped it all with the poly lid. However now I sit down I wonder whether the plastic board is meant to be a crown board as it sits flat on the top of the frames and doesn't allow the bees to move over the frames like the wooden one does. Is this what it is and have I used I right? I'm wondering if it's meant for top bees space whereas I have bottom bee space.

I quite like polycarb crown boards but the flimsy offerings that come with poly hives are a waste of time. You need at least 6mm polycarbonate and it needs to be framed. That way you maintain bee space and it's rigid enough to take a rapid feeder on top

I quite like polycarb crown boards but the flimsy offerings that come with poly hives are a waste of time. You need at least 6mm polycarbonate and it needs to be framed. That way you maintain bee space and it's rigid enough to take a rapid feeder on top

:iagree:
I've had to do the same with the Maisie's poly hive.

The poly hive I got with the bees I bought in the spring came with a clear plastic crown board. This wasn't on the hive because it had a wooden super on top so had a wooden crown board. I've put all the poly bits together today. Changed the wooden super for a poly one, swapped the wooden crown board for the clear plastic one and topped it all with the poly lid. However now I sit down I wonder whether the plastic board is meant to be a crown board as it sits flat on the top of the frames and doesn't allow the bees to move over the frames like the wooden one does. Is this what it is and have I used I right? I'm wondering if it's meant for top bees space whereas I have bottom bee space.

It's a carry forward from the plastic sheets often used, the oversight was BBS in National hives. They are a total pain to use in a full hive, best answer is to use that framed one that was on the wooden super, that way you don't squash bees.

Agree....As it's polycarb you can just 'glue' the frame strips on with 'gripfill' and save a load of 'joinery' work.
:)

Holes, rapid feeders... sheesh.

There is nothing like disturbing the bees for no good reason esp messing with these little feeders.

Either use an empty super or make an eke 2" high and cut a good slab or two of fondant, pop it on and leave them alone for 6 weeks or so and then check.

There is feeding and there is faffing around.

PH

Holes, rapid feeders... sheesh.

There is nothing like disturbing the bees for no good reason esp messing with these little feeders.

Either use an empty super or make an eke 2" high and cut a good slab or two of fondant, pop it on and leave them alone for 6 weeks or so and then check.

There is feeding and there is faffing around.

PH

How much are you paying for Fondant?
1000kg of invert is still less than £600.....
Fondant £2.40 for 2.5Kg
:hairpull:
Nos da

Spot on .. Exactly what I do - I frame mine with strips of the same 6mm polycarb - I stick them together with CA Glue.

the only use for those flimsy bits of polycarb that come with the hives is for putting in between stored supers over winter ... keeps any little critters out and leaves them nice and fresh for the bees next season.

Have a start-up kit: Maisemore brood + 2 supers with flexi-plastic "crown board" and included is a 4 pint feeder. Any ideas how/ where to install the feeder?

I lose them, they fly over the field in the wind. I've ended up using foil insulation cut to size - works a treat.

Have a start-up kit: Maisemore brood + 2 supers with flexi-plastic "crown board" and included is a 4 pint feeder. Any ideas how/ where to install the feeder?

In an empty super. You can put the feeder directly on top of the frames in theory. Or you can cut a hole in the crownboard, put the crownboard on the frames, then put the feeder on the crownboard over the hole. This stops them building wild comb up from the top of the frames using the syrup you are giving them.

Latest posts

Back