Pollen Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelC

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Four(ish)
We have a cedar tree in our garden and at this time of the year it is covered in catkins that release loads of yellow pollen. The tree is clearly wind pollinated and I haven't noticed bees taking any interest in it. But do you think they would they be interested in the pollen if I used it as an ingredient in a pollen supplement e.g. in the spring when pollen is in short supply?

Thanks Finman. That's a shame because I have collected a bunch of it 'in case' .. but now I understand see why they seem to ignore it.

Thanks Finman. That's a shame because I have collected a bunch of it 'in case' .. but now I understand see why they seem to ignore it.

Go shake some pollen from gorse if you have any in your area, that is good quality pollen.

Its not just a case of % protein content but also the quality eg the amino acid spectrum of the protein needs to cover most of the essential amino acids required by the bee in the proportions required. OSrape pollen is a good source if you have a pollen trap.

Thanks everyone. It seemed like such a good idea but I should have known that the bees ignore it for good reason.

Its not just a case of % protein content but also the quality eg the amino acid spectrum of the protein needs to cover most of the essential amino acids required by the bee in the proportions required. OSrape pollen is a good source if you have a pollen trap.

Ten amino acids found in the
protein of pollen have been identified as being essential for
honey bee nutritional requirements (de Groot 1953). These
amino acids were identified as threonine, valine, methionine,
isoleucine, leucine, phenylalanine, histidine, lysine, arginine
and tryptophan. Glycine, proline and serine were not
essential for growth but do exert a stimulating effect on
growth at suboptimal growth levels (de Groot 1953).

OSR pollen is classed in the research as an average quality pollen with a crude protein of around 23.8% Gorse is classed as excellent quality with around 28.4%

Bees gather mixture of plant species that they get that aminoacid spectrum, along the summer.

On species blooms often only 3 weeks.

If amino acid content is light, bees must eate more pollen.

Bees prefer more average pollen plants that the best protein sources.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back