Hopeful New Beekeeper in Suffolk with a Community Haven for Nature

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beccaloo

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
5 hopefully by end of 2022
Hello! Brought up with a beekeeper dad and had always wanted my own hives. I attended a beekeeping introduction course last year to get more information and get a little hands on before deciding to take the next step. We have a community interest company which is very nature focused and have our first small piece of land (2 1/2 acres) which we are planting trees on, with wildflower meadow areas plus a small community garden. We have part funded this via a crowdfunder and I had included bee hive sponsorship which has been taken up which has helped financially! I have three hives to build, and am taking advice where I can which is great, but as we know everyone has their own ways of doing things so I just need to find out what works for me and my bees. I was going to buy Nuc;s commercially but have joined the East Suffolk Beekeepers association and am now looking at sourcing my bees more locally which I think makes sense. I have lots of questions which I want to ask here, but am holding back and will post in other parts of the forum! Hoping for contacts and mentors! Have a lovely week.

Hello! Brought up with a beekeeper dad and had always wanted my own hives. I attended a beekeeping introduction course last year to get more information and get a little hands on before deciding to take the next step. We have a community interest company which is very nature focused and have our first small piece of land (2 1/2 acres) which we are planting trees on, with wildflower meadow areas plus a small community garden. We have part funded this via a crowdfunder and I had included bee hive sponsorship which has been taken up which has helped financially! I have three hives to build, and am taking advice where I can which is great, but as we know everyone has their own ways of doing things so I just need to find out what works for me and my bees. I was going to buy Nuc;s commercially but have joined the East Suffolk Beekeepers association and am now looking at sourcing my bees more locally which I think makes sense. I have lots of questions which I want to ask here, but am holding back and will post in other parts of the forum! Hoping for contacts and mentors! Have a lovely week.

East Suffolk BKA is very progressive and innovative - I'm sure they'll be able to help with a mentor. Some good recent Zoom speakers. I'm t'other side of the county. Good luck with your project.

Sounds an interesting project - good luck and I hope you get your bees.

Source your bees from a decent reputable supplier commercial or otherwise. The local bit is often over played misunderstood and very exaggerated. If you are setting bees up in shared areas I’d strongly suggest some decent advice and an experienced beek to hand! Good luck. Ian

Welcome - I joined the same association last year, my mentor has been brilliant. The ‘Felixstowe’ meetings at Kirton are well worth going to. Good luck, John

Sounds like an exciting journey ahead.

Back