Pollen mixed with honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorparkbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello, I’ve just had a look in on a new foundation super I put on a 2 weeks ago. Every frame is drawn bar one and full of honey with 60/70% capped already. I’ve noticed that there is a few cells half full with pollen and then nectar on top, just wanted to check this is normal.

Thanks In advance!

Quite common in the super immediately above a single brood chamber above brood frames where the brood reaches right to the top of the comb. Don't tend to get it in double BC colonies. Nothing to worry about unless you want to enter the frames class in a honey show

Hello, I’ve just had a look in on a new foundation super I put on a 2 weeks ago. Every frame is drawn bar one and full of honey with 60/70% capped already. I’ve noticed that there is a few cells half full with pollen and then nectar on top, just wanted to check this is normal.

Thanks In advance!

Yes, very normal. It's not unusual to see a pollen arc in your first super.

This was a fully capped frame , left hand side in before and after.... You can see the pollen stores underneath the capped honey.

sidebyside.jpg

Thanks In advance!

This is going to happen where you allow no barrier to the queen
laying in the super, which is what will happen next.
There are broodchambers(BC) and there are supers, it is your job
as the b'keep to decide which is what and what goes where under
your management Plan.
Clear?

Bill

This is going to happen where you allow no barrier to the queen
laying in the super, which is what will happen next.
There are broodchambers(BC) and there are supers, it is your job
as the b'keep to decide which is what and what goes where under
your management Plan.
Clear?

Bill

Do you just comment to annoy people???? I'm new to beekeeping and I have the same issue as the OP. I have QE on.my hives so nothing to do with queen laying in a super.... I'm only in my second year as a beekeeper and know more than you.

This is going to happen where you allow no barrier to the queen l

Total Billox Bill... At least in UK...pollen will get stored in supers above queen excluders. Usually not a lot, but sometimes enough to destroy frame and add new foundation.

I like Billox...feels as though I've invented a new word.:winner1st:

@moorparkbees

Note the reactive to my earlier comment.
Please tell us (royal) if you have a queen excluder (QX) fitted.
Ta.

Bill

Last edited:
Don't get excited, some nutjob will take offence and it'll be deleted. I thought up the words ****, **&^&* and $%^%&^^^^&* and look what happened to them!

You are just showing off with all your new words...:paparazzi:
I only managed one.

Someone unkindly copied the words from the only person on my Ignore list.

Thanks you for confirming that my choice was correct.

Someone unkindly copied the words from the only person on my Ignore list.

Thanks you for confirming that my choice was correct.

I am in my first year of beekeeping and I find the posts by this bloke to be very annoying so I have also set an ignore flag on his Billox postings.

I am in my 61st year of beekeeping and to protect my sanity put this "non-english" speaking Aussie on my ignore list a few weeks ago. Why does he persist in contributing his meaningless drivel to a forum thousands of miles away?

I have this on most of my colonies. I went through one yesterday, double b/box with Q excluder above top b/box. Plenty of pollen stored not only in the super above the Q excluder but in the supers above that.

I assume this will not affect the honey I harvest at all as most of it gets filtered out? I'm not showing the honey at all, or even selling it.

Hello, yes QX fitted

Okay.... so the only (accurate) answer to your "check this is normal"
is No, not at all, normal.
Were such "normal" every honeybadger on the Planet would be filtering
product for pollen spore, an expensive and time consuming process.

Where such happens there is always a high pollen low nectar forage on -
quickly filling desired space in the BC so bees are forced to carry the bags up.
You'll note pollon scattered on bottomboards where this is happening, often
visable from the entrance.
Getting over it requires frame shuffles if a light flow. For heavier flows, like for
crops known to yeild high pollen counts an extra 'sacrifical' super is added
over the QX and under the supers for extraction.
Help?

Bill

:nature-smiley-013:There is a group of people that buy "raw" honey that has not been over filtered and pasteurised specifically to gain benefits from tiny amounts of pollen in the honey. I do not think the standard normal size filters/strainers will remove very much pollen anyway.
I might be barking mad, but its never harmed me ! bee-smillie

I have this on most of my colonies. I went through one yesterday, double b/box with Q excluder above top b/box. Plenty of pollen stored not only in the super above the Q excluder but in the supers above that.

I assume this will not affect the honey I harvest at all as most of it gets filtered out? I'm not showing the honey at all, or even selling it.

It’s fine
And if you store your supers wet pollen mites will eat the pollen over winter and you can just tip out the dust the next season

Back