2 stroke fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national
Recently there was a post on the forum about poor starting 2 stroke machines. there was suggestions of using different makes/types of fuel. I can't find it, and I've lost the notes I made. Can any one help/point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Recently there was a post on the forum about poor starting 2 stroke machines. there was suggestions of using different makes/types of fuel. I can't find it, and I've lost the notes I made. Can any one help/point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
I take the sparkplug out , put a teaspoon of 2 stroke oil in the chamber, pull it a few times replace the spark plug.
Works for me.

I take the sparkplug out , put a teaspoon of 2 stroke oil in the chamber, pull it a few times replace the spark plug.
Works for me.
Pure 2 stroke oil?! Or do you mean 2 stroke fuel at 50:1 ratio petrol oil? I would have thought that neat oil would have oiled up the plug immediately. - the biggest cause of non-starting after a blocked jet in the carburettor

Last edited:
Pure 2 stroke oil?! Or do you mean 2 stroke fuel at 50:1 ratio petrol oil? I would have thought that neat oil would have oiled up the plug immediately. - the biggest cause of non-starting after a blocked jet in the carburettor
You thought wrong.
It does not oil up the plug.

I was told by my local agriculture "fixers" that the highest ethanol percentage (E10) fuel are death to the carburettors of strimmers, hedge cutters, brush cutters, chain saws etc. Hence E5 is the best fuel base for 2 strokes.
I think it depends on how old your engine is, how much use it has and for how long you leave fuel in the machines tank. Ive got a 30yr old Kawasaki hedge trimmer, it starts OK and runs OK on E10 based 2 stroke and Ive not had any leaks either. I store it after running till empty.

It is possible to remove the alcohol from the petrol/alcohol mix.
Just add water and shake the fuel, the alcohol will mix with the water and the petrol floats on top to be decanted. The volume of petrol will decrease after the water is added.
Adding some food colouring makes the interface easier to see.

Back