Pollen, fondant or syrup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
just lifted the roof to see that the slab of fondant over the feed hole is being taken down (albeit slowly) is been on there for weeks!
the question i have is should i leave them to possibly finish it, or should i perhaps now give them 1:1 syrup, or should i replace the fondant with neopoll??
many thanks :)

Good question, I was thinking the same and would be very interested in the answered for the wiser and more experienced beeks.

Bees have been very active recently with lots of pollen going in. Fondant is being taken down very slowly now.

I was going to give it another week and then replace with 1:1 syrup.

Still far to early to be opening the hive up other than to put in more fondant if the hive is light when hefted. However no reason why you couldn't put in a lump of fondant and a lump of pollen patty side by side in cling film or greaseproof paper over the crown board hole. Just remember to cut out a hole in the wrapping.

I wouldn't feed syrup until the temps hit 10'C+ consistently and even then only a small amount at a time 1-2 pints over a week.

I agree with Mike.

I am off the view that you should not try to combine energy requirement with pollen substitute requirement. Pollen patties independent to feed.

Depends on your weather and your colony activity brood characteristics. I dont want mine going to soon. I will be putting pollen patties soemtime in March (weather dependent but not likely before week2) I'll be leaving fondant on until the patties go on I'll then switch to 1:1

I am in same quandary about fondant and feeding. I made some fondant last week, slapped it over hole in crown board and they don't seem to be touching it. (No comments about my cooking please.) But it has set rock solid (didn't add glucose) and it has been really cold and rainy down here all week so hives not very active at all, one or two bees coming and going today. Trying to work out if I should change fondant to proper softer stuff, leave alone or panic cos they are starving. Tried hefting hives but it meant nothing to me. Is weighing hives with a spring weight the best way to get a true picture? I don't intend to open up hive to have a look.

If you are not sure of your hefts, then yes use a spring balance but do remember to weigh it from two sides to get an accurate figure.

I have fondant on and it is staying on. My high here today is 5C. and it feels perishing in the breeze.

PH

Latest posts

Back