pollen count..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
took a while watching the bees today and done a little count, my results were that over a 10minute period about 8 out of every 10 bees that went into the hive was carrying pollen.....
they were bringing in bright orange pollen and white pollen,the bees that were carrying the bright orange pollen were completely loaded with it and some could hardly walk when they landed, while the bees that were carrying the white pollen had only very small amounts of it with them....any idea what the white pollen was?
Darren.

Good chance that the white is Hazel and the yellow is Crocus of some sort

I didn’t see mine bring in any this morning when I was up there.
However, this afternoon, as I was passing the hives, I saw a note pinned at the entrance and it said:-

Dear Tesco delivery driver. If there’s no one home, can you leave the pollen on the step.

I think it’s time to have another chat with them. If they used my credit card again, they will be grounded and no sugar syrup for a week....

Brian

Crocus is orange, smowdrop is yellow, hazel is sage green.

PH

Not on pollen, a very very tricky subject.

I have had doubts about the accuracy of my pollen loads book ever since I bought it 20 years ago.

Try looking up pollen on the web for colours. Tricky to say the least.

PH

Winter flowering honeysuckle - Lonicera Purpusii

I have one in my garden and once the sun hits it, it gets covered in bees and the pollen they are collecting is an off white

bright orange def. crocus = "saffron"

there's a lot of viburnum flowering in S London front gardens which has pale grey pollen

White-ish stuff - Still say it's hazel!

Last edited:
White-ish stuff - Still say it's hazel!

agree it is just flowering here looks white compared to the very yellow orange crocus, all a mater of relative colours, to white it would look green but to yellow it looks white

Latest posts

Back