Ply Hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently tried 2 ply supers from FP as it seemed nearly as cheap as making them myself - very rough and ready, took a fair bit of botching to get usable and I'm now determined to spend my winters making my own - as cheap and much better quality - just need a Hedgerow Pete shed to do it in! Makes you appreciate the quality of other suppliers :)

i have 5 fp hives had them for 3 years now i got delivery in 3 days had no problem making them and they are as good today as the day i made them i personaly would recomend them i swaped nails for screws and used waterproof glue and treated with cupernol had no problem with delaminating or with weight.
this is my personal feeling.

i've not made any BB or supers out of ply, but this spring i made 5 x 5 frame 14x12 nucs out of 2 8x4 sheets of 12mm shuttering ply, total cost for the 2 sheets £35. They are great for A/S and making increase but i'm not sure if i'd risk them for overwintering.

but i'm not sure if i'd risk them for overwintering.

You are meaning thickness of ply for the bees comfort, rather than leaving ply nucs outside getting wet/dry cycled? A strong colony will easily survive in a 12mm thick ply box.

One neglected colony was left in a ply nuc box with 6mm ply sides (with a half-super above with 9mm sides) for last winter. The ends were 18mm ply. They were OK this spring. A bit slow to get going, but that may have been either the bees or the winter weather.

There is no reason why the sides/ends cannot have some EPS insulation strapped on/fitted in.

RAB

They are great for A/S and making increase but i'm not sure if i'd risk them for overwintering.

I over winter lots of five frame nucs,the box's are all made from 9mm ply,no problems at all,even during the last two very cold winters.

I overwintered a colony in a very shoddy, second hand ply hive last winter (-16 degrees), they were my strongest colony this year.

However, I'm not sure I'd advise following my example;)

Is MDO (not MDF) available here?
Norm Abram used it a lot for outdoor projects in The New Yankee Workshop on TV, and claimed it lasted for donkey's years.

If you look at my album you will see the ply hive I bought the other week there from Fr**** Pl****. Rough and ready but needed another hive in a hurry and had no cash to buy from the group I am with so put it on the card. It was a devil to build when following the "plans" so, I went on a hunt ofr pics online and had no problems from there. I didn't use any nails other than in the brood frames, the brood box and two supers were glued and screwed. If I get a couple of three years out of it I will be happy. Painted it with Cuprinol. Looks good enough and the "girls" aren't complaining.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back