Langstroths in the UK?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaning and repairing every year so they are in a good condition to be used

I have not need to repair them. Nothing brake them. Pine is tough wood in Finland.

Scrapping propolis is needed and often burn inside.

I have painted boxes with latex once per 19 years.

.but I use them only in summer summer and polyhives on winter.
Actually they are easier to maintain clean than polyhives, because you may flame them.

Last edited:
All good thoughts here... I'm tiptoeing in my mind towards Langstroth boxes...

But this apparent disparity makes me wonder a little.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/lang.html

Anybody experienced different sized/proportioned Langstroths causing trouble? I know a particular big American supplier imports their Langs from the usa. Is going Langstroth gonna get messy with different makers?

It I not real trouble, because you have only couple of variations in each country.

I have variations of 9 and 10 frames. Hives need a special plate that boxes can be used together.

Bigger problem now is in polyhives. Some models have too small upper bee space but extra plate is a solution

What professionals do.... They sell hives and kick off that way unsuitable furnitures

Hobby beekeepers may have guite meshy collection of boxes what different beeks have donated, like to my friend. Awfull heap of DIY floors, boxes and roofs.

It is everybody's own fault if he takes all stuff what are offered.

Last edited:
I have not need to repair them. Nothing brake them. Pine is tough wood in Finland.

Scrapping propolis is needed and often burn inside.

I have painted boxes with latex once per 19 years.

.but I use them only in summer summer and polyhives on winter.
Actually they are easier to maintain clean than polyhives, because you may flame them.

So .... What do you think that pine would be like left outside all the year round .. soaking up rain in the winter ... I rather doubt that your pine hives would last 49 years if they were left out every year in your winters ...with no maintenance.

You are very selective with the truth at times ... and VERY MISLEADING !!

This is the Beginners section - you should take more care with your posts.

So .... What do you think that pine would be like left outside all the year round .. soaking up rain in the winter ... I rather doubt that your pine hives would last 49 years if they were left out every year in your winters ...with no maintenance.

You are very selective with the truth at times ... and VERY MISLEADING !!

This is the Beginners section - you should take more care with your posts.

Pargyle, are you sure that you know what is Pine? Scots pine?

Our country is full of houses , barns, sheds and dog huts, board fences. Almost all have pine boards outside in some purpose. Our county is half full of pine forest.

No pine last without maintenance 50 years. Of course not. That is why walls are painted. But not annually.

First pine board takes black mould into the surface. Before that you must paint it, if you do not want that your neighbours laugh at you.

Second point is that houses must have lids, which protect from rain.

But after all, shrinking by suns heat and rains' swelling makes necessary that pine wall must be painted.

Pargyle, do not teach a duck to swim.

Last edited:
Pargyle, you say that these are beginners...

They are adult people who live in their own houses. They surely know what happens if you do not maintain wooden surfaces in open air. It cannot be a secret.

So .... What do you think that pine would be like left outside all the year round .. soaking up rain in the winter ....

No one do that here. Pine board is expencive material and no one let them rotten in rain. As I suppose that it is douple or triple expencive in Britain.

If board is on open air, so called blue mould taint it into few millimetres deep, and no one will accept it as construction material.

No one here use wood material imported from USA either.

Last edited:
It's all groovy, I totally get that pine needs more attention to make it more durable to weather the elements.

Still thinking about it, and wondering how different the dimensions might be from the various different hive suppliers… would be really irritating to not only be locked into one hive type, but one supplier also!

Gotta make decision soon though, since the clock is ticking when it comes to getting bees in a hive and well established this season… and if a hive needs help, there are no Langstrothers in the area at all to help out!

Even if we have in Finland lots if pine, wooden boxes are expencive and beeks buy polyhives. But wooden hive as home yard decoration is of course nice.

No one do that here. Pine board is expencive material and no one let them rotten in rain. As I suppose that it is douple or triple expencive in Britain.

If board is on open air, so called blue mould taint it into few millimetres deep, and no one will accept it as construction material.

No one here use wood material imported from USA either.

WHAT YOU SAID :

"I have 49 y old langstroth pine hives. They are in good condition. What does 'Annual maintenance' mean?"

IN RESPONSE TO:

"I think, to some extent, you get what you pay for in beekeeping .. hives made from cedar will last a lifetime with little maintenance - pine hives will need annual maintenance if they are going to stand the test of time."

You did not qualify that PINE needs to be looked after... once again you have dug yourself into a hole - stop digging !

I may not have as much beekeeping experience as you but I know a bit about timber .....

Scots Pine is probably not what cheap hives are made from ...

Over here Scots Pine is known as “redwood” or “red deal”. It is easy to work with and is a reasonably strong timber with a light weight. When treated with preservatives it is durable outside. It's is a good timber for being in contact with water. So in the past it was used to make ships and ship's masts and even water wheels. The resin from the bark was used to make tar and turpentine.

It may be what your 49 year old hives were made from as it was a lot less expensive and generally better quality than is usually seen now.

But I suspect that cheap 'pine' hives are more likely what we would describe as 'whitewood' ie: Spruce and Fir .. often known over here as Deal. A much cheaper timber and very prone to rotting if not treated regularly with paint or preservative.

So stop teaching this duck to swim ...

Gotta make decision soon though, since the clock is ticking when it comes to getting bees in a hive and well established this season… and if a hive needs help, there are no Langstrothers in the area at all to help out!

You can easily cable tie a national frame into a Lang one - with a bit of butchery with a strong wood lopper.

I've converted National to TBH, TBH to Lang, Warre to Lang and National to Warre.. It's not difficult --- I'm not very clever but if I can do it, anyone can.. All you need is a Plan.

Beekeeping is NOT rocket science or Physics... :paparazzi:

... and you can always make an adapter eke that will enable you to stack a national box on an langstroth or vice-versa.

Perhaps we talked about different material with Pargyle. In Wikipedia it is said that In Britain Pinus sylvestris grows 5 times faster than in Finland.

In Finland fast grown and twisted grown pines are used as cellulose.

Typical good quality pine for saw mill is 90-110 years old and trunk has no twigs. Annual rings are tight. Hight growth in a year is about 30 cm.

Perhaps we talked about different material with Pargyle. In Wikipedia it is said that In Britain Pinus sylvestris grows 5 times faster than in Finland.

In Finland fast grown and twisted grown pines are used as cellulose.

Typical good quality pine for saw mill is 90-110 years old and trunk has no twigs. Annual rings are tight. Hight growth in a year is about 30 cm.[/QUOTE

Yes ... the rubbish that is called pine here in the UK and some which may come from N.America/Canada is an insult to timber. I have been turning some 'pine' that came out of my daughter's house which was built in 1913 ..... lovely straight, tight grain, hardly any knots and turns like a hardwood. I have a 50 year old sailing dinghy with a Scots pine mast and spars - again - proper timber .... I'm sure the Scots Pine you get in Finland is a very different timber to the fast grown, kiln dried weeds we get over here.

That's it then… I'm gonna build myself a mahogany Langstroth!

Ebony?

Verawood?

My wife's sister has been in Germany 40 years. Her duty has been to buy timber from Scandinavia to Germany. Scandinavian pine board has been very popular. Now Russian timber has took place on market.

I could believe, that Britain buy high quality pine and spruce from Scandinavia too. I have handled German spruce board and it is amazing. It I like balsa wood.

That's it then… I'm gonna build myself a mahogany Langstroth!

Ebony?

Verawood?

I'd like to be invited to the grand opening when you attempt to lift a full mahogany jumbo brood box.. It will be entertaining..:icon_204-2:

Haha… totally! And that's before the slate roof, ivory frames, and a full box of honey! :sifone:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back