Plucking with wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
Can I use beeswax to get the last little feathers off of a plucked goose?

I know you can buy parafin type wax for the job but since I've got beeswax to hand........

Yep, I have heard this but it does seem to be recommended to do it a little differently.

http://www.texasdrone.com/Beeswax-Uses.htm

Because I am new I cannot yet post links but on texasdrone[dot]com there is a page that tells you how to do it which might help- you basically dip the bird in a Tub of boiling water and beeswax which then helps to remove the features in great clumps.

Not sure if that has helped....

James

Here is a YouTube clip but using duck wax.....not sure if it is the same principle?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vqo3BYnBR4[/ame]

James

Can I use beeswax to get the last little feathers off of a plucked goose?

I know you can buy parafin type wax for the job but since I've got beeswax to hand........

If you have a gas cooker - just pass the carcass over the flame a few times - or as my grandmother used to do (when they slaughtered birds for a living) a bit of methylated spirits in a round tin (say an empty boot polish tin) light it and then pass the bird over. The smell of burning meths still brings back fond memories of plucking day at the old folks! Some people just get a bunch of lit old newspapers and pass that over the carcass.

Thanks for the repliesnot worthy

I usually singe my ducks but I want as nice a finish as possible for the big day :rolleyes:. The video makes it look so easy but I'd need WAY more wax than I've got to do the whole bird like that. I may try it on just the wing tips and other extremities though otherwise the trusty blow torch will be coming out to play ;)

Latest posts

Back