Planting for Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is exactly why the plant is so problematic. Bees and wasps turn to it at the exspense of natives and then the seed bank grows and grows.

Go native with planting, plenty of wonderful natives for bees. Spreading non natives for the sake of a honey harvest is a, illegal and b, shortsighted

Not that im suggesting you would personally

Im referring here to the original post about impatiens grandiflora.

Surprised nobody has mentioned sainfoin

I also grew some bee trees from seed - 2 years old now so a while to go before I see what the bees make of them :)

As far as shrubs go though I reckon ceanothus is high on the bee pop chart as mine usually seems it has a minimum of 20 on it if the weather is right. Not the easiest plant to propagate, though I have managed to get one to grow from cuttings.

At present the bees are all over our Poached Egg Plants, also opium poppies.. borage, cotoneaster trees which they adore, phacelia (lovely delicate scent) wild geraniums etc..

Thanks for the Bee Tree link

Not sure though it would flower in our climate ?

Worth noting that trees and bushes generally are more productive as obviously have greater profusion of flowers.

Sedum also a good safe bet just bought 2 purple Emperors , and took a load of cuttings ( they root readily ) which flower earlier than the other usual Autumn Joy, which is excellent too.

Purple Emperor is a stunning plant .

Check out this Beautifull pic !

https://wellywoman.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dsc08583.jpg

It's amazing, every plant I look at must first be "Bee" assessed !!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the Bee Tree link

Not sure though it would flower in our climate ?

Some die back of young trees in winter in cold areas but my trees and now 3 years old and approaching 1 meter high - in sheltered spots. The less sheltered ones are less .

I expect it to flower at 5 years old..

Some die back of young trees in winter in cold areas but my trees and now 3 years old and approaching 1 meter high - in sheltered spots. The less sheltered ones are less .

I expect it to flower at 5 years old..

I collected some Evodia seed in a park in Dusseldorf 3 years ago, planted 7 of them out last Autumn @ about 1' high, they have more than doubled in height so far this year, not in a sheltered spot but Dusseldorf tends to have much colder Winters than we do and the fact there were seed means they must have flowered OK.

I found that the Cotoneaster bushes I have planted around the garden are always covered in Bumbles, Masons and my Honey bees, so much so that you can hear the hum from six feet or more.

I collected some Evodia seed in a park in Dusseldorf 3 years ago, planted 7 of them out last Autumn @ about 1' high, they have more than doubled in height so far this year, not in a sheltered spot but Dusseldorf tends to have much colder Winters than we do and the fact there were seed means they must have flowered OK.

I found that the Cotoneaster bushes I have planted around the garden are always covered in Bumbles, Masons and my Honey bees, so much so that you can hear the hum from six feet or more.

Evodia is quoted as winter hardy to -30C - but that must be trees - the young ones are not.

Our cotoneaster bushes as yours: six feet? more like six meters :)

Evodia is quoted as winter hardy to -30C - but that must be trees - the young ones are not.

Our cotoneaster bushes as yours: six feet? more like six meters :)

Ah well! I am half deaf and wear a hearing aid.:D

Interesting re Impatiens G. being a banned plant.
yup - highly invasive and vigorous - kills off al other ground cover and as it's an annual dies back completely in winter to leave bare earth thus bad news especially on river banks where it can cause severe erosion - forget the law, riparian owners will lynch you if you help spread it!!

Pussy willow is one of the earliest food sources for our bees, and grows easily from cuttings, and large ones at that to get a headstart.
No need for any fuss - just cut 'slips' from trees in late winter and literally stick into the ground - 9 times from ten they'll take root - just leaving a cutting lying flat on the ground, you will notice within weeks that roots have grown in the area of the leaf nodes.

My number one late season plant recommendation is cosmos. Very easy to grow from seed, very lovely looking and extremely attractive to bees. Lots and lots of flowers from a single plant, ideal gap filler but also great in meadows.

:iagree:
Acres of it out in Lesotho gave a really big autumn harvest. Nice clear honey with a strong floral flavour - you can almost feel the flowers bursting open on your tongue.

Bumped this tread to ask opinion on oxeye daisy - mixed reports on its attractiveness to honeybees?

I've got plenty of it, so I'm hoping its a winner?

Bumped this tread to ask opinion on oxeye daisy - mixed reports on its attractiveness to honeybees?

I've got plenty of it, so I'm hoping its a winner?

Over here for this plant hoping is only You could get.. Maybe some pollen, but generally here bees don't pay attention to it at all..

never seen bees on ox-eyes, only flies, hemipteran-types and occasional small beetles...

never seen bees on ox-eyes, only flies, hemipteran-types and occasional small beetles...

I've seen bumbles and butterflies but never noticed honeybees using them. The reason I ask is that an American beek site lists them as a top 5 honeybee plant?

Also, has anyone compared standard buddleia (b. davidii) to Buddleia globosa? Ive read the latter is a top class bee plant whist the former isn't as good?

We have both types of buddleia: honey bees prefer Globosa: (but even more prefer cotoneaster or ceanothus).

Yes, cotoneaster growing up a south facing wall is a bee magnet.
I have one cotoneaster "tree" that wasps like.

We have both types of buddleia: honey bees prefer Globosa: (but even more prefer cotoneaster or ceanothus).

Any idea why they prefer globosa? is the nectar more abundant or easier to access I wonder?

We used to have a sprawling cotoneaster (cotoneaster horizontalis) that was quite a spectacle for bees for years - will have to plant some at some point.

I also noticed a Hebe at a family members garden the other day (Hebe Pewter Dome) that was literally heaving with all different bees (Bumble, Honey, Solitary) - another for the to buy list!

Thanks for the replies - this is a great thread

Any idea why they prefer globosa? is the nectar more abundant or easier to access I wonder?

We used to have a sprawling cotoneaster (cotoneaster horizontalis) that was quite a spectacle for bees for years - will have to plant some at some point.

I also noticed a Hebe at a family members garden the other day (Hebe Pewter Dome) that was literally heaving with all different bees (Bumble, Honey, Solitary) - another for the to buy list!

Thanks for the replies - this is a great thread

Globosa flowers earlier here: so less competition - it's in flower now when there is a June drought. Others flower later when there is more choice..
(That is only a guess for the reason: maybe the nectar is stronger? I have no idea)

one of the best natives and one of the best for end of year is IVY. It is everywhere here in Ireland and really no need to cultivate it in the circumstances - the birds do a good job with their droppings - can't beat that !

The Honeybees in were in the garden in numbers on Forget-me-nots during the Rape flow. Much more honeybee pullling power than Phalacia or lavender or even the Borage. It self seeds so it looks like it will be our vegetable path ground cover for some time.

Latest posts

Back