Badly behaved Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives!!
Or a change in their behaviour.
We have had our colony for 3 months now, they were a small nuc that has expended well and they have been a pleasure to handle until last week, we know it was a bit late for a final hive inspection, it’s just the way it worked out, it was 21c and warm so not bad conditions, they were far more defensive and easily stimulated to sting, I got stung 3 times and the Mrs once. But put some of it down to the black builder’s type gloves with the red woven back on them that I was using and didn’t sting when I swapped to the leather gloves. (have read some of the archives on gloves since!!) But since then they have been fine until yesterday.

In the morning the Mrs was watering some of the plants a good 20ft + from the hive when one of the girls started buzzing her, I joined her and we both walked up the garden a good 60ft away before the bee stopped following, then she went back to watering, it then came back 3-4 mins later and stung her on the cheek without any warning!

But since then the hive has been fine and we sat having a cup of tea 10ft away with no problems with the girls just going about their business.

We have been told that you don’t get to see the true nature of a colony until they get to full strength? And our bees are defiantly mongrels and quite a few different colours, some almost pure black others quite a yellow abdomen, so do wonder if some of them could end up being a bit aggressive or do you get the occasional rogue bee? We are going to see how they progress as we would like to keep them in the garden but it’s not fair on neighbours or the bees if the colony becomes to defensive and causes problems. We do have somewhere to move them if needed.

Just would like some ideas as what may cause a change in behaviour and why a bee might behave in such a way? There was a dragonfly that had been in the garden and a few wasps but nothing out of the ordinary.

Move them

If you can throw a house brick and hit the nearest property ... then the hives are too close!

Yeghes da

My nuc had got more aggressive the more established they got so i requeened earlier in the year. My two placid buckfast hives have got a tab more snippity when ive been going up to top up feed. Im happy that its because theyre protecting their stores and will not be like this in spring.

Keep it in mind and see what they are like next Spring. In some cases you do see their true nature when they are a strong colony, they know they are so best to solve any problem before this stage.
You mentioned gloves and the first type were a problem, the leather ones are ok but marigolds would be much better. Sounds to me like they reacted to your gloves on the first occasion and perhaps an over defensive guard bee with a memory on the second. Sympathies to your other half and hope she is not in too much discomfort. Mark their card.

Move them

If you can throw a house brick and hit the nearest property ... then the hives are too close!

Yeghes da

30ft+ from the nearest boundary, and 60ft+ our neatest neighbour and over 100ft from any other houses, but moving them is an option.

They were just telling you it's wrong time of year to be messing with them ...

I know, bad timing on our behalf and will be better prepared next year.

My nuc had got more aggressive the more established they got so i requeened earlier in the year. My two placid buckfast hives have got a tab more snippity when ive been going up to top up feed. Im happy that its because theyre protecting their stores and will not be like this in spring.

will see what spring brings!! unless they get a red card and are moved.

Keep it in mind and see what they are like next Spring. In some cases you do see their true nature when they are a strong colony, they know they are so best to solve any problem before this stage.
You mentioned gloves and the first type were a problem, the leather ones are ok but marigolds would be much better. Sounds to me like they reacted to your gloves on the first occasion and perhaps an over defensive guard bee with a memory on the second. Sympathies to your other half and hope she is not in too much discomfort. Mark their card.

Thanks for that Steve, we did wonder if the last inspection had put them on edge, will see how we go over the next few months and will consider what to do, they are on notice, but hadn't though about guard bees having a memory for that long? and the Mrs says thanks, she's more annoyed than in pain, we have a tube of after-bite/sing handy now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back