Planting for a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can get the bees to work your patch of land let me know how you do it ! failing that best bet is to let nature take its course rewild it, the land will give up its riches at different times of the year, over time the bees will pollinate and improve the diversity working with nature is always the best way. Bees forage in a wide area thought to be around 3 miles, the book "the buzz about bees" has proven data via trackers to show foraging areas and how the bees source what they need.

Well worth buying for your collection the buzz about Bees.

If you can get the bees to work your patch of land let me know how you do it ! failing that best bet is to let nature take its course rewild it, the land will give up its riches at different times of the year, over time the bees will pollinate and improve the diversity working with nature is always the best way. Bees forage in a wide area thought to be around 3 miles, the book "the buzz about bees" has proven data via trackers to show foraging areas and how the bees source what they need.
Have no idea if what I’ll do will work but am in quite an intensive agri and grazing area so just wanted to give a “local” helping hand to bees..🤞🏼🤞🏼

Forgive me - but when you say 'Willows Small' - could you be more specific please?

Height kept below 4 meters.
by Pollarding.. keeps the branches small and lots of flowers in Spring..

We don't seem to get a June gap here , rather an August gap What do you reccomend for planting that flowers at that time . I also have a high bank to plant so was wondering about shrubs for it

We don't seem to get a June gap here , rather an August gap What do you reccomend for planting that flowers at that time . I also have a high bank to plant so was wondering about shrubs for it
Sedum
Asters
Himalayan balsam

If you can wait a few years then
Sweet Chestnut
Eucryphia

As above and maybe
Scorzoneroides autumnalis - Hawkbit.
Euphrasia officinalis - eye-bright, knapweed (Centaurea)
amongst others.

Have to agree on the balsam , knotweed and balsam are not wanted in this country and they are trying to irradicate them. Its my garden I want to plant up so I would prefer not to have weeds that will need hard chemicals to get rid of in years to come

Have to agree on the balsam , knotweed and balsam are not wanted in this country and they are trying to irradicate them. Its my garden I want to plant up so I would prefer not to have weeds that will need hard chemicals to get rid of in years to come
I remember years ago, on our first Irish fishing trip, having spent the day fishing in Cong, we decided to take the 'scenic' North about route back to Oughterard. One of the lads in the back said 'isn't it nice, we've been here two days, driven around most of Logh Corrib and we have yet to see any peashooters (our local name for knotweed)' around the next corner, I slammed the brakes on as, lo and behold in the middle of a neatly manicured field, a solitary five yard diameter clump of Knotweed!

Our bees forage on Clematis Montana, Astrantia, Crocus, Snowdrops, Hardy Blue Geraniums, Chives,Thyme, Lavender, Bramley Apple, James Greive Apple, Discovery Apple, Victoria plum, Blackcurrant, Redcurrant, Whitecurrant, rasps, strawberries, Geans, Honeysuckle with Willow-herb and brambles growing on disused paths nearby.

As well as those plants mentioned, heleniums and astilbe are fantastic for bees and flower all the way through August and into September. Wildflowers - the best for bees are knapweed and devils bit scabious at this time of year.

In August my bees go wild about herbs like marjoram, oregano and mint ...which are also good to grow for their scent and for the kitchen. They are rich in nectar and the plants are covered in honey bees as well as other types.
Too many other flowers are good for bumble bees but not honey bees.

Yes if you can allow your culinary herbs to flower it will be appreciated. Have a good look at flowers from the Aster family as well, there are many types for various seasons.

Try Purple Loosestrife- flowering now and the honey bees love it - very easy to take cuttings from too - Echinacea are good also and seem to flower a long time. We’ve just moved to a new house with giant Crocosmia (?) / Monarda (?) and our bees have been all over that.

Bees not near the Crocosmia but the wasps certainly are all over it.

Latest posts

Back