Planting for a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, am a newbie with my 1st hive and i'm fortunate enough to have a small scrap of land i'd like to plant up for the hive. At moment it's a grass patch, well grass and some brambles. Any suggestions on what to seed it with and how/when best?

Hi all, am a newbie with my 1st hive and i'm fortunate enough to have a small scrap of land i'd like to plant up for the hive. At moment it's a grass patch, well grass and some brambles. Any suggestions on what to seed it with and how/when best?
Trees are a good start! Remember bees only visit one type of flower on one journey therefore the more of one type you have the better. Borage and phacelia are good annual crops.

Phacelia seems particularly attractive option as it can cover the June gap.

Trees are a good start! Remember bees only visit one type of flower on one journey therefore the more of one type you have the better. Borage and phacelia are good annual crops.

Thanks enrico, and forgive the silly question but I would only have to plant Borage or Phacelia once right? And not over and over again like regular farmer crops ?

Low growing ceanothus, opium poppies, phacelia, dandelions,crocus and willows (small)

Thanks enrico, and forgive the silly question but I would only have to plant Borage or Phacelia once right? And not over and over again like regular farmer crops ?
It is an annual i.e. plant, flower and die all in one year but both will seed easily and both will shoot again if cut.
Seed is cheap if bought in reasonable quantities but neither will grow well in grass. They need cultivated land. If keeping grass then go for clover

Borage and phacelia seeds overwinter happily here where we do have snow and frosts in winter. Once they are established with seeding, they spread..

I collect both sets of seeds and guerilla garden...(throwng into an enticing patch of vacant soil in morning walks)

Try to find space for a sweep of hardy geraniums - preferably blue ones. Honey bees and bumbles love it, it appears to give nectar all day, blooms over a long season into the Autumn when other stuff can be scarce.
It self seeds if you let it, or you can trim back the dead heads to get another flush. The bigger the area you can provide the more bees you’ll attract. The plants are pretty undemanding too.
For early nectar and pollen try to grow an area of hellebores - as close to the hives as you reasonably can. It allows the bees access to food for brood rearing in very early Spring and if close to the hives they can nip out and get back in quite cold weather.
Whatever you do, I wish you well - it’s a great opportunity for you.

If you can get the bees to work your patch of land let me know how you do it ! failing that best bet is to let nature take its course rewild it, the land will give up its riches at different times of the year, over time the bees will pollinate and improve the diversity working with nature is always the best way. Bees forage in a wide area thought to be around 3 miles, the book "the buzz about bees" has proven data via trackers to show foraging areas and how the bees source what they need.

I wondered about that!!!!! Most are big!
If you can get the bees to work your patch of land let me know how you do it ! failing that best bet is to let nature take its course rewild it, the land will give up its riches at different times of the year, over time the bees will pollinate and improve the diversity working with nature is always the best way. Bees forage in a wide area thought to be around 3 miles, the book "the buzz about bees" has proven data via trackers to show foraging areas and how the bees source what they need.

Perhaps madasafish was talking about standards or half standards that have been grafted they only stay small.??

Latest posts

Back