Plant ID

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can anyone tell me what plant/flower this is? It's right by my hive; heavy-scented, and the bees just love it. This morning I've seen honeybees, bumble bees, bee-lookalike hoverflies, AND miner bees working it!

picture.php

It might be privet, but it's ages since I've seen privet so it might not be...

Just gone on a hunt around the net using the word "privet" and, yes, you may be right. Wax leaf privet ... wow, that was quick, thank you!

Looks like privet to me also. We've loads around here, nice council people planted it after finishing the bypass.

Wild privet all finished here a month ago, but it flowered well this year, lovely heavy scent although not to every ones taste.

Chris

Privet, don't know about all, but the regular ones are officially a source of unpalatable honey. Can impart a bitterness. I guess in towns, as a hedging plant, most people don't let them flower...

loads in flower here, all around cemeteries and parks. bees working it

The privet hedges round my garden's in flower and the bees seem to love it.

Regards
CD

Some honey harvested and no, not the tastiest honey. If, as I suspect, most of the honey gathered in the last 3 weeks is privet, it's giving a bit of a raw, harsh tang at the back of the throat. I suspect most non-beekeepers wouldn't notice, so I'm still hoping to sell it. Is that unethical, d'you think?

not unethical but people might remember and steer clear of your honey in future ...

Latest posts

Back