Plant id please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks a bit like anise hyssop but flowers seem too far apart so not sure. Is it fragrant?
E

If it is anise hyssop then the bees will be all over it.

E

And one more please bee seem to like it a lot and has a delicate scent that travels quite a long way

Attachments

• IMAG1662_1.jpg
    IMAG1662_1.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 47
Bit hard to see - really need a close-up of flowers and leaves - might it be a Pyracantha ?

And one more please bee seem to like it a lot and has a delicate scent that travels quite a long way

Looks like hawthorne. Tree in picture has blossom going over - starts to brown off and will often have a slight pinkish tinge at this point also. I notice a stronger scent from them at this point also. Some hawthorne has a very pink blossom when in full flower and others are distinctly red. The pinks and reds tend to come into bloom much later than the white flowered trees.

The leaves look wrong for Hawthorn, they are more Blackthorn looking to me but it has me stumped because Blackthorn should be finished flowering by now, if it has 1in long sharp needle like dark thorns it could be a confused Blackthorn Tree.:spy:

The flowers seem to have a yellowish tinge if anything and the thorns are dark I'll get a better pic flowers are very small

No doubt you've been through Talybont on Usk? Between the old Post Office and the canal bridge, there are some trees that I think are the same, from memory. A type of Hawthorn, each individual flower is larger and leaves are a different shape.

I have a Pyracantha Hedge in my front garden .. white flowers are just finishing and it will have yellow berries when they fruit. The thorns are hellish .. 1" long and as viscious as anything I've ever grown .. I dread the annual pruning as I end up looking like I've done five rounds with a Siberian tiger ! It grows like mad - half a metre a year and sometimes more ... I have it there to deter intruders against a wall into the back garden - mind you, anyone who even tried to get over the hedge would have a hell of a shock if they got over the wall ... that's where the bees are !

Hawthorn, or at least a crataegus of some description, there are quite a lot. Not the common hedging or Midland hawthorn. Perhaps as you say inch long thorns it might be the cockspur thorn (crataegus prunifolia).

Still looks like Pyracantha to me from the leaves - should be an easy enough job to tell, if/when it develops berries.

Can anyone id this shrub ? Humming with life today .
0047d67b83d4aad5d1f5567631f429b7.jpg
40786a9f7ec362a02eda919abf957563.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back