Pin Test (Update)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.oK. I found that it is an official term in Finland too. New to me.

Added to English dictionary 2014.

Actually, no. That was part of the message that Cheers was attempting to convey. The other part was where individuals donate their time/expertise towards a worthy goal.
I grew up in an area where we were encouraged to help one another. I have tried to do that all of my life, but, I'm beginning to feel like a dinosaur

Possibly some of the cash contribution is via big company funding.
Our B4 efforts have been funded not only from individual direct funding, but also by Lottery funding... Tesco bags for life funding... to name but two.

I feel like a bit of a Pleaseosaur meself... when I see so many just thinking of themselves and giving everything a financial value... I call it costing the Earth... others.... pig ignorant selfishness!

:calmdown:

I can not argue with any of the research methodologies...
BUT the beauty with Citizen Science is that the Citizens can ... do a lot of field work ... supervised and planned of course.

We speak now about pin tests. Next step is to rear queens and drones, and them mate two highly hygienic bee couples. It is very difficult task and extremely far from "citizen work".

Even LASI professor has given wrong advices about that issue. Australia stopped its hygienic project after 10 years. It is not easy even if you have money and time.

Last edited:
We speak now about pin tests. Next step is to rear queens and drones, and them mate two highly hygienic bee couples. It is very difficult task and extremely far from "citizen work".

Even LASI professor has given wrong advices about that issue. Australia stopped its hygienic project after 10 years. It is not easy even if you have money and time.

Not so difficult. If I can do it, anyone can

When you make a pin hole in the cell capping, the hole must look pretty large to a bee regardless of how thin a needle you use. Doesn't the hole add a variable (damaged capping) that wouldn't normally be present and that would influence the bees' ability to sense the state of the cell contents?

You make a wonderful scientist Finman

It is you who is making. I am going to do nothing. Everything happens in your tiny head..

I do not breed bees. I do not make pin tests. I do not mate them on islands. I have reared queens 50 years without your excellency.

.vain effort to breed bees in 20 hives apiary.

What I have seen, biology and ecology are not your best virtues. Your life is mere testing.

When you make a pin hole in the cell capping, the hole must look pretty large to a bee regardless of how thin a needle you use. Doesn't the hole add a variable (damaged capping) that wouldn't normally be present and that would influence the bees' ability to sense the state of the cell contents?

I agree. I am asking the same questions you are. The hole must be pretty big relative to the size of a bee. However, I have always justified that the complete removal of the dead pupa was what we were looking for in hygienic behaviour.
I await the published paper for an explanation why they are now saying opening the cell is enough.
I understand this follows some M.Sc work undertaken by a student of Dr Ralph Buchler.

It is you who is making. I am going to do nothing. Everything happens in your tiny head..

I do not breed bees. I do not make pin tests. I do not mate them on islands. I have reared queens 50 years without your excellency.

.vain effort to breed bees in 20 hives apiary.

What I have seen, biology and ecology are not your best virtues. Your life is mere testing.

Finnie my dearest little snow pixie....
not everyone keeps bees just for honey
Thought I would point that out.
Chons da

Finnie my dearest little snow pixie....
not everyone keeps bees just for honey
I'm surprised at his response. He reminds us frequently that he is educated as a biological researcher yet claims to be "bored" by the thought of performing the most simple of tests. If this is true, it was not great loss to science when he pursued a different career.

The idea of being educated is so you get others to do the dull boring repetitive tasks, whilst getting on with more interesting things.

I'm surprised at his response. He reminds us frequently that he is educated as a biological researcher yet claims to be "bored" by the thought of performing the most simple of tests. If this is true, it was not great loss to science when he pursued a different career.

Carry on wondering, if you do not have better to do.

Last edited:
The point is we all find differnet things interesting ....i found blondes more interesting in my younger years but ended up with a brunette, and i am not to worried about how much heat is lost by a metal screw in a poly hive..... i cant see that changing though

I agree. I am asking the same questions you are. The hole must be pretty big relative to the size of a bee. However, I have always justified that the complete removal of the dead pupa was what we were looking for in hygienic behaviour.
I await the published paper for an explanation why they are now saying opening the cell is enough.
I understand this follows some M.Sc work undertaken by a student of Dr Ralph Buchler.

Would it be any easier to just remove chunks and freeze? similar to the way Ivan Nielsen does it

Back