Pictures of how you paint your mating nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you had a read of The Buzz About Bees, there is a interesting chapter in the book about how the bees see colour in different wavelengths and so on, i have not read the book properly but what i have read is interesting.
I have indeed. Very interesting book. Worth buying alone for its excellent reviews of research into drone congregation areas in hilly areas and why we shouldn't necessarily expect our virgin queens to mate with drones from our own apiaries.
Bees can see further into the UV spectrum than man and flowers have "hidden" UV colours and markings that we cannot see but bees can. They cannot see red though, it appears black to them.

I used to help a old farmer many moons ago when fixing his broken field drains, he had a uncanny knack of finding where they where broken 3ft underground by using dowsing rods.

No doubt he knew where thy were from mending them over the years.

And for our location he says:
"This is amazing!
We found three ley lines that converge at that location, including one from Stonehenge. Hover over the markers for information on each ancient site.

You seem to live at a swirl of ancient energy highways; this may mean that your area is a hotspot for paranormal activity, or even for unidentified flying objects!

"

:paparazzi:

And for our location he says:

You seem to live at a swirl of ancient energy highways; this may mean that your area is a hotspot for paranormal activity, or even for unidentified flying objects!

Put in several different postcodes and guess what......they ALL got the above response. Shows what a load of old cobblers it all is IMHO.
Seems harder to find a place that has non of these fictitious lines.
But hey if you want to"find them" and site your hives on 'em it aint doing anyone any harm. Won't increase your honey yields or make your bees any happier...but it might make you happier!

Bee have good colour vision (reds excepted) and are able to discern many shapes with ease. How else would they find flowers if they couldn't see (and smell) them and navigate their way back home if they couldn't recognize landmarks.
My mating nucs and landing boards are painted with shapes and patterns that bees should be able to distinguish between; as described in J and C Goulds book the Honey Bee.

Due to flight restrictions in one apiary all my hives face the same direction. To date I've not encountered any drifting (drones excepted) and I keep three different strains of bees in this apiary so it would be easy to see.
Alternatively they may all have excellent orientation skills. Who knows for sure

I was curious to find out if the zazzyzizag and hippie colours made a difference... painted some nucs up with some hideous and most garish designs... let the bees settle in for 3 weeks and swapped them around ( marked a few drones and workers)... guess what bees went back to hive position and took no notice of the zazzyzizag and hippie colours!

Just another one of the myths of beekeepering.

Yeghes da

Put in several different postcodes and guess what......they ALL got the above response. Shows what a load of old cobblers it all is IMHO. ##
Seems harder to find a place that has non of these fictitious lines.
But hey if you want to"find them" and site your hives on 'em it aint doing anyone any harm. Won't increase your honey yields or make your bees any happier...but it might make you happier!

##Guess you were taken in by the Tregothnan spaghetti harvest crop flop too.. let alone their manuka honey!

All good for a laugh

Yeghes da

No Fish you could actually see the two wires move when he found the correct spot, and he was never far away from the new break not a old one.
Experiments show that this works only when the dowser has some unconscious knowledge of where the target is. For example, they might be using clues from vegetation, geography or temperature. They might not realise what they’re doing, and so believe in the supernatural power of the rods. Experiments have been done that eliminate these possibilities, by running water through one of 10 pipes laid underground. Under such controlled conditions dowsers do not succeed.
The explanation for what happens when people dowse is that “ideomotor movements” – muscle movements caused by subconscious mental activity – make anything held in the hands move. It looks and feels as if the movements are involuntary. The same phenomenon has been shown to lie behind movements of objects on a Ouija board.

There is still a million dollar award for anyone who can convince the James Randi institute that they have paranormal abilities, such as dowsing. It has never been claimed.......http://web.randi.org/

So you are saying he was a lying owld git :D .

Lots of people have manage to dupe themselves. Calling him a lying old git is likely to get me head stove in.....I'd be much more diplomatic than that :)

Lots of people have manage to dupe themselves. Calling him a lying old git is likely to get me head stove in.....I'd be much more diplomatic than that :)

:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004 , honestly what i seen looked like it worked, he also held them loosely in his fat old farmers hands, the only other explanation is he spiked me with magic mushrooms prior to looking for the broken drains, or maybe flyagaric .

Distinctive markings/shapes are more important than the colour of the paint.

I am the world's biggest skeptic - but - on a visit some years ago to the National Tramway Museum, Crich, Derbyshire, I was once given the opportunity to 'dowse'.

There's a guy there (a tram mechanic, I think) who operates from a wooden hut on the edge of a Car Park. The Car Park has an asphalt surface with no distinguishing marks, no wear marks - just plain asphalt.

On request, he'll hand you a pair of L-shaped brazing rods, and show you how to hold them, inside thin-bore tubes, so that the rods are free to rotate, without any influence from the hand's muscles. He'll ask you to walk around the Car Park, and note what happens. While you're doing this, he'll stay in his shed so as not to influence your behaviour in any way.

As I walked across the Car Park, the rods suddenly crossed over, and as I walked backwards, they uncrossed. It didn't take long to establish that there was a line of 'something' running across the Car Park, the direction of which I'll not reveal in case somebody from this forum wants to try this for themselves, at that location.

On return to the shed, the guy will ask you what you discovered, and will then show you a geological map of the area, in which a vein of Lead Ore runs exactly where the rods responded.

It is a truly uncanny experience, and defies explanation - other than the possibility of an aerial electrostatic charge perhaps being grounded by the Lead Ore - that's the only tentative explanation I can offer.

Near-Earth atmospheric electrostatic potentials are well known of course, and I suspect bees probably use them for navigation, as their eyesight is - contrary to popular opinion - rubbish. Whereas their ability to detect electrostatic fields has been established for some time, although for some strange reason is constantly overlooked by researchers.
LJ

Last edited:
Experiments show the movements are involuntary...................... The same phenomenon has been shown to lie behind movements of objects on a Ouija board.

There is still a million dollar award for anyone who can convince the James Randi institute that they have paranormal abilities, such as dowsing. It has never been claimed.......http://web.randi.org/

I would love to discuss the issue in detail with you, but unfortunately for the next few weeks at least, spare time will be virtually non existent.
Suffice it to say that, much to my surprise I unintentionally discovered I could douse or as it is referred to here "divine". There is no trickery involved and no explanation that I offer. Neither have I any interest in convincing anyone or seeking any acclaim.
As for Randi, it would be absolutely impossible to claim the reward he allegedly offers. In fact the conditions are so water tight, it may not even be an offer. It is however an effective publicity stunt for him.

Back