Pictures of how you paint your mating nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact the conditions are so water tight, it may not even be an offer.

No charlatans need apply then! Gotta jump through a few hoops for a million dollars.
For water diviners or dowsers it's dead easy...find the one buried pipe in 10 with water flowing through it.....

As to the original question

Attachments

• d2872b61ca70d784a2f07686a3e5ea9a.jpg
    d2872b61ca70d784a2f07686a3e5ea9a.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 67
As to the original question
Thanks Redwood. That's far more nucs in much less space than I am contemplating, and considerably more regular in layout! It also uses far less colour variety, far less use of patterns and far less variety of nuc size/shape than I already employ. Presumably some of your mating nucs fail, either due to losses during mating flights or mated queens returning to the wrong nuc (none of us can claim 100% success rate). What would you say your success rate is for queens mating and getting back the the correct nuc safely?

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

I don't do any of that lol, I leave that to the pros who have a far bigger gene pool than me, however if I was I would probably have four in a stack with the entrances N S E W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hey, that's exactly what I am doing! I recently built a quadruple 5-frame nuc from scrap wood. The entrance to each nuc points in a different direction. Each side of the conjoined structure has a different background colour. Two sides are plain and two sides are rather clumsily patterned. I am relying on the genetic diversity of my local drones to rear locally-adapted queens. No 150kg/hive/year yields for me. I get closer to 40kg/hive/year at the moment which is more than enough for giving away to friends.

an example of my art work. I certainly found that my mating success improved when i painted them.

Attachments

• painted apideas 004 - Copy.jpg
    painted apideas 004 - Copy.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 33
an example of my art work. I certainly found that my mating success improved when i painted them.
Hey, thanks Keith! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

How many people paint their mating nucs like this? Do you think it helps in any way? Can I see pictures of your "artwork"?

Experiments show that this works only when the dowser has some unconscious knowledge of where the target is. For example, they might be using clues from vegetation, geography or temperature. They might not realise what they’re doing, and so believe in the supernatural power of the rods. Experiments have been done that eliminate these possibilities, by running water through one of 10 pipes laid underground. Under such controlled conditions dowsers do not succeed.
The explanation for what happens when people dowse is that “ideomotor movements” – muscle movements caused by subconscious mental activity – make anything held in the hands move. It looks and feels as if the movements are involuntary. The same phenomenon has been shown to lie behind movements of objects on a Ouija board.

There is still a million dollar award for anyone who can convince the James Randi institute that they have paranormal abilities, such as dowsing. It has never been claimed.......http://web.randi.org/

You must believe what you believe. I have no intention of trying to sway what people think about dowsing, I simply give you this to consider.

My mother can dowse with hazel (well, with any green wood, but hazel is nice and flexible) and has done so since she was a child. Just for fun. When sceptics say she is moving the hazel herself I have seen her hold the wood tight to try and stop it moving, and the hazel twists so strongly in its desire to move that the bark twists off in her hands.

I don't believe it has any connection with the paranormal, more to do with the earth's magnetic forces reacting with sap in the wood or some such. I can do it too, but only for fun. I think no-one really believes until they feel the reaction for themselves.

But did your bees' mating success also improve?

Yes, Yes AND YES. I have a lot of hives and apideas in my main apiary and as soon as I painted my Apideas I could see a marked increase in the success rate of getting queens mated and laying. For me, it gives the young queens a very positive identification.

Some more

wwi6vq.jpg

You must believe what you believe. I have no intention of trying to sway what people think about dowsing, I simply give you this to consider.

My mother can dowse with hazel (well, with any green wood, but hazel is nice and flexible) and has done so since she was a child. Just for fun. When sceptics say she is moving the hazel herself I have seen her hold the wood tight to try and stop it moving, and the hazel twists so strongly in its desire to move that the bark twists off in her hands.

I don't believe it has any connection with the paranormal, more to do with the earth's magnetic forces reacting with sap in the wood or some such. I can do it too, but only for fun. I think no-one really believes until they feel the reaction for themselves.

I agree totally - it's a waste of time trying to convince anyone (and anyway - why bother ?) - it's just one of those things you really do have to try for yourself ... and the more skeptical you are before trying it out, the more mind-blowing the experience.

When the brazing rods I held (in tubes) crossed over, they did so with such an abrupt movement that I nearly dropped them in surprise. It doesn't make any logical sense with our current state of knowledge - just like a whole host of other things don't make any sense.

One day, people will simply say, "sure, that's why that sort of thing happened .... but they didn't know about 'XXX' way back then."
LJ

I think no-one really believes until they feel the reaction for themselves.

Good word belief, means acceptance of something with no evidence for it.
There are perfectly rational explanations based on ideomotor co-ordination. But, I guess, believing in dowsing is more "fun" than accepting a rational explanation.

But with all you died in the wool expert dousers why are non of you getting together to challenge for the million dollars? It's open to anyone.

To get back on topic.....
These are how some of my apideas were painted by a mate of mine. No idea if it improves mated queen return rates but I like them.

matingnuc.jpg

Latest posts

Back