Picking Up My First Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Jazz for my out burst which may have spoiled your thread a little but you have to accept the forum has the odd crank who you need to try your best to ignore..

No worries mate

Heh... I suppose the cheaper they are, the easier they are to replace. (When it comes to boxes...) Having wooden boxes that last for decades vs. cheap and cheerful and easily replaced seems like it could be a battle that rages on for a long time. I do love the smell of cedar, but finger joints do my head in. Glue and screw butted ends for me right now.

I'm with you on that, no chance am I doing any complicated joints! 🙄

Heh... I suppose the cheaper they are, the easier they are to replace. (When it comes to boxes...) Having wooden boxes that last for decades vs. cheap and cheerful and easily replaced seems like it could be a battle that rages on for a long time. I do love the smell of cedar, but finger joints do my head in. Glue and screw butted ends for me right now.

If you are referring to poly as not lasting vs wooden hives many of the manufacturers quote a 30+ year lifespan for painted poly hives; there are many this age still service.

If you are referring to poly as not lasting vs wooden hives many of the manufacturers quote a 30+ year lifespan for painted poly hives; there are many this age still service.

No! Sorry! I feel we are talking the difference between bog-standard soft white wood (Or as Thornes calls it "Russian Redwood") vs. Cedar. For me, it's reclaimed wood, as long as it is clean and has not been treated or contaminated.

I did not want to say this but what an absolute tit you are..loose some weight fatty it might bring the negative stress levels down and you might appreciate how good i actually am at making things...please don't try to take the piss out of me anymore it never goes down well..

Oh my ... what a pair you are ... You really do show yourselves for what you are ... or at least one of you could be one of three or four previously banned people.

Just remind me .. was it Thymallus, Truble or Beefriendly that had lifetime bans ?

You will come to understand keeping one hive does not work.... You will soon have ten at least...

Exactly what happened to me: 2015 1H, 2016 2H, 2017 4H, 2018 10H

Wife:
2015 "what a nice little hobby"
2016 "where are you putting the other one?"
2017 "what do you mean the other 2 are smaller?"
2018 "when can I have my garden back?"

Saw a wife quote today
You can be sure it's safe to tell your wife secrets and she won't pass them on because she doesn't listen anyway ������

My wife complained that I didnt see enough of her. So I bought her a high viz jacket.

I had to think about how I word this post a few times before typing it up as I can imagine the answer depends on so many variables, but here goes... :spy:

On my first inspection since transferring the 6 frame nuc (packed) to the 11 frame BB - how much progress should I expect to be happy with? As in, two more frames drawn in the 7-10 days since? Or more/less?

Also, how long before I can add a super?

Am I right in thinking variables such as flow, forage, weather and my own daft mistakes (over-ventilating etc.) will impact how soon I can expect to get honey from them? Just asking that last question seems obvious, sorry :confused:

You've started with a nucleus (half size) colony, the bees are busily trying to double in size - their first priority is rearing broood, second foraging, when they have spare capacity or they need the space, they will divert resources to wax making.
Not a straightforward answer, but food for thought.
How strong was the nuc? actually how strong - your perception may be different from the reality, it may be fairly full of bees and brood, but depending on how old the brood, how many bees are fully employed in caring for it.
There comes a hiatus in any young colony where progress seems to slow down - it is in fact the bees just taking a breath whilst the brood/young bees catch up.
Rule of thumb is, you put the first super on when you have seven to eight frames full of brood
Hope that makes sense

You've started with a nucleus (half size) colony, the bees are busily trying to double in size - their first priority is rearing broood, second foraging, when they have spare capacity or they need the space, they will divert resources to wax making.
Not a straightforward answer, but food for thought.
How strong was the nuc? actually how strong - your perception may be different from the reality, it may be fairly full of bees and brood, but depending on how old the brood, how many bees are fully employed in caring for it.
There comes a hiatus in any young colony where progress seems to slow down - it is in fact the bees just taking a breath whilst the brood/young bees catch up.
Rule of thumb is, you put the first super on when you have seven to eight frames full of brood
Hope that makes sense

Hi JBM - thanks for the reply.

With my lack of experience it'll be unlikely I can give you a definitive answer on the strength of the nuc, but I appreciate the pointers you've given with the limited information I have supplied.

I haven't fed yet, and so far have only seen one bee come back with pollen on her legs. Should I feed?

JazzJPH;672753 I haven't fed yet said:
Some (people whose opinion I respect, and have far more experience than me) would say, when putting a nuc into a hive "feed, feed, feed".
Some are of the opinion that, with a big flow on, no.
In normal circumstances, and at this time of the year, I would say give them a few pints to half a gallon of 1:1 syrup allowing the bees to concentrate on brooding and wax making rather than foraging.

Some (people whose opinion I respect, and have far more experience than me) would say, when putting a nuc into a hive "feed, feed, feed".
Some are of the opinion that, with a big flow on, no.
In normal circumstances, and at this time of the year, I would say give them a few pints to half a gallon of 1:1 syrup allowing the bees to concentrate on brooding and wax making rather than foraging.

Brilliant JBM thank you so much :D will get on it.

They should be a lot happier now they're not freezing and when they're getting fed! :)

Hi Jazz
Glad you were able to get hold of a colony in the end and it sounds as if you're immersing yourself in your bees - I'm sure I don't need to warn you how addictive they become!
good luck :)

Hi Jazz
Glad you were able to get hold of a colony in the end and it sounds as if you're immersing yourself in your bees - I'm sure I don't need to warn you how addictive they become!
good luck :)

Are you all sorted now?

Latest posts

Back