Picking Up My First Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JazzJPH

Hi everyone,

I'm picking up my first nuc tonight. The guy is giving me them for free as he says the weather has helped increase the numbers quite a lot. I'm guessing it will be a split.

Thanks for the help off the guys I've messaged so far, I appreciate it :)

So the plan is:
- Drive from work to apiary 40 minutes away
- Take up nuc with 6 frames of foundation to switch out
- Give them a light spray of water to keep cool for the 40 minute drive
- Stick them in the boot and use a lot of bungees to secure in place
- Drive 40 minutes home, set them down next to the hive I plan on sticking them in
- Transfer straight into my Abelo poly hive, drawn frames in the middle and foundation either side.
- Open the entrance immediately (?)

Then walk away happy that a 100% successful operation has taken place without any bumps or hiccups, or a boot full of exposed bees.... :sunning:

I would open the entrance as soon as they are set down where they are to live. Then leave them a few hours or overnight before transferring. No need to rush things.

But enjoy them!

Either plan is good. Good luck with your new hobby. Keep us in touch
E

Luckily the weather is supposed to be a bit cooler over the weekend but i would still use a ventilated crown board for peace of mind..strapped on before the roof..imo you are better of taking the empty Nuc that is to be filled and let the fellow put the bees plus frames in it..leave it till it is dark and then close the entrance up..that way you will be more or less certain all the flying bees are in there..
When that is done go back the next day and collect as early as possible..take them home and open up immediately..as for putting them in a full national brood box straight away..that is 50/50 depending on brood and the amount of bees..

I usually leave a little time beetween putting a new nuc in an apiary and transferring them into their new hive.
Sometimes as long as five minutes if I can't find my lighter

Hi everyone,

I'm picking up my first nuc tonight. The guy is giving me them for free as he says the weather has helped increase the numbers quite a lot. (snip)

Wow. Lucky you. Saved yourself a few quid there! I’m envious. Like I’m one to give advice, but it’s cold and drizzly here in Hertfordshire, so don’t move them over until it’s warm enough. For my experience earlier this week, if your nuc is not packed and overflowing, you should be able to install them at your leisure.

I usually leave a little time beetween putting a new nuc in an apiary and transferring them into their new hive.

I think I’m slowly coming to recognise and partly understand your sense of humour, JBM. (^_^)!

Hi everyone!

So the transfer was a success. It took about 30-45 minutes and was my first hands-on experience with bees.

They were pretty calm, a few didn't like the hive tool and went for it, but a bit of smoke calmed them. Looking back, I think I probably over smoked.

Also, in my desire to get them in the poly hive and tucked in for the night, I didn't check the frames at all. Rookie mistake but I didn't look for queen, QCs, nothing.

My wife took videos so I will look over them. Not the same I know.

I managed to get most safely in. Had a few pinging my veil but kept my cool. No stings.

Now to read up on inspection frequencies and what to look for!

Attachments

• IMG_20190517_195153.jpg
    IMG_20190517_195153.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190517_195139.jpg
    IMG_20190517_195139.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-20190517-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20190517-WA0019.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 61
Hi everyone!

So the transfer was a success. It took about 30-45 minutes and was my first hands-on experience with bees.

They were pretty calm, a few didn't like the hive tool and went for it, but a bit of smoke calmed them. Looking back, I think I probably over smoked.

Also, in my desire to get them in the poly hive and tucked in for the night, I didn't check the frames at all. Rookie mistake but I didn't look for queen, QCs, nothing.

I managed to get most safely in. Had a few pinging my veil but kept my cool. No stings.

Hi Jazz,

I started about 6 weeks ago and have found it highly addictive.

Hope you enjoy the thrill

What's the lighter for your cigar!
Sorry couldn't help my self.
Good luck jazz!

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Nice photo’s, I can see that garden filling up, two colonies is good for comparison.
As a beginner (like me) it’s good to make a plan before each inspection, I do this, otherwise I finish and miss something I wanted to look for.
Good luck.

Last edited:
JazzJPH;672207 Also said:
You were transferring them from a travel nuc to a hive....not inspecting them......no rookie mistake at all.
Now see if you can leave them alone for at least 7 days before a proper inspection..... :)

Last edited:
Okay I can see a rookie mistake....your "finger" elastic is outside of your gloves. It should be inside your gloves with the glove sleeves covering over the ends of your suit cuffs.
A set of bad bees will be stinging you in yer sleeves and up as far as your armpits faster then you think they can...

Hi everyone!

Wow. Congrats! My first nuc went in on Tuesday. I did get one sting, but I’m using nitrile gloves and rolled one under a lug as I picked it up. I deserve it. I should have been more careful.

For what it’s worth, I checked the frames while looking over the shoulder of the Beek who sold me the nuc, so I didn’t look that carefully when I installed the frames a few hours later. I did find the queen, who was happily waggling about a center frame. Your setup looks fab.

IMG_6948.JPG

IMG_6950.JPG

IMG_6951.JPG

Okay I can see a rookie mistake....your "finger" elastic is outside of your gloves. It should be inside your gloves with the glove sleeves covering over the ends of your suit cuffs.
A set of bad bees will be stinging you in yer sleeves and up as far as your armpits faster then you think they can...

Oo good tip thanks. I'd not be keen on that scenario so I'll be sure to apply your advice! :D

You're right, I'm going to struggle leaving them alone for 7 days..

Queen is marked red apparently, so I should be able to see her when I inspect again... After 7 days... :spy:

Adam yours is looking great! How are you finding it so far?

I'm using nitrile gloves too. Bees weren't interested in them at all. More bothered about the hive tool!

Just like you.. sad I have to wait so long to look inside. I'm a bit worried as the 6 frame nuc was packed and there has been a lot of activity since Tuesday. I'm only running one medium box with the crown board on top. The other two boxes are just being stored in the stack on top. If the girls need room, I'd like to give it to them... but I suppose a week is not too long to wait.

So far I've seen a reasonable amount of pollen coming in. I'm presuming the rest are bringing nectar. I've seen one flight of an undertaker bee. I've been pooped on once. I have found one dead bee under the entrance all by itself. I can see the guard bee hiding in the entrance when it's evening. When the sun is out (today was cold and drizzly) there is a lot of activity.

Last edited:
Brilliant Jazz..you have done the easiest thing now you have to get through the hardest part and leave them alone for a while..:D ..
Spend the time observing the entrance and search the local forage..this time next year you will know more about plants and trees than you ever thought you could imagine..enjoy and the best of luck with them..
Oh and buy another hive this year and two more next year..:spy:

Latest posts

Back