Payne nuc adaption.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I've just acquired a couple of old Paynes poly nucs. I seem to remember seeing that the feeder can be cut out to allow for 2 more frames.
Has anyone got details of how this is done?

Here you are;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125609724@N03/albums/72157659314817230

I found the best tool for cutting the feeder out was an oscillating multitool .. you can use a bread knife but I found that it tended to tear the poly rather than cut it.

You use the bits of poly you cut out to fill the gaps left - I used car body filler to glue the in and fill the gaps - easy to sand down.

A coat of propolis varnish on the inside and bob's yer uncle.

Not difficult at all.

I also converted the standard national to a permanent 14 x 12 at the same time.

Last edited:
Just finished the adaption. Took me about an hour with the body filler but if you do another one Philip I'd recommend removing the dividing wall with a hot blade. I heated an old putty knife with a blow torch and it sliced through the poly in a matter of seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_32786.jpg
    IMG_32786.jpg
    879.9 KB · Views: 53
Good job - well done - I've got a new one I bought last year and had forgotten about - just found it in the back of the chamber of secrets so I'll get on and try your hot knife trick ... less messy than the oscillating tool I would think - there were crumbs if poly everywhere and it sticks with static to everything. Pleased you got there I find these three quarter boxes really useful and they are easily dummied down if you need less space for a colony. They are really good for over wintering smaller colonies as well .. slab of 25mm insulation either side and you have a really toasty five frame nuc.

Just finished the adaption. Took me about an hour with the body filler but if you do another one Philip I'd recommend removing the dividing wall with a hot blade. I heated an old putty knife with a blow torch and it sliced through the poly in a matter of seconds.

I modified a new Paynes poly nuc that I had in store today ... using the hot knife method is much better than my previous method of using an oscillating multi tool. The heated paint scraper I used today goes through the poly like a knofe through butter .. no crumbs of polystyrene and it leaves a nice sealed surface.

Definitely the way to do it - Good call Neil.

Latest posts

Back